It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
(male)

allgreektome71 HB User
Nitrates? Leukocytes?? Is this a UTI or Gonorrhea? Please interpret!

I've been married and monogomous for 10 years, then out of the blue, I start getting symptoms of what I thought was a bladder infection - fever with chills, aching back, burning w/ odor when I urinated. 2 days go by, it gets worse, I go to the clinic to get treated. It got strange when the doctor started asking me about my sexual practices, partners, etc. - it was only strange because I was there for a UTI, not an STD & I had no reason to suspect my wife was unfaithful. So when I tell the doc that I have no reason to be worried - been faithful through and through - she tap danced off of the subject and explained that she would run a test to see if there was blood in the urine - if there was, then she would treat me for a UTI, if not she would do further testing for an STD. During the exam she asked if I had any blood in my urine or any discharge - none at that point. THEN I PEED IN THE CUP - big clumps of blood. Looked down in my shorts - green discharge everywhere... She wrote an RX for Ciprofloxacin - I filled it, took it - everything cleared up. Later, when hindsite kicked in, I called back and asked what the test results showed for me, they explained: I tested positive for Nitrates which 99.9% of the time means a UTI and can be associated with a kidney infection. I also tested positive for Leukocytes (blood cells). MY PROBLEM: I can't find anything definitive that explains whether or not I had an STD. My understanding is that if you test positive for Leukocytes, that's a positive for urethritis, which is most commonly caused by gonorrhea. I also understand it that UTI's can also be contracted at the same time/or because of gonorrhea... Please help! Does any of this definitely indicate that I DID have gonorrhea?? Or does anything here indicate definitively that I DID NOT??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Nitrates? Leukocytes?? Is this a UTI or Gonorrhea? Please interpret!

I can see your problem. And it sounds to me that now, in hindsight, you are considering the possibility that your wife was unfaithful and could have giving you gonorrhea. I think that if your doc suspected that that was the cause of your uti/kidney infection, she would have pushed further because your wife also has to be treated. Has your wife been to the doctor's lately? Have you asked your doc for any explanation?

Anyway, it is possible to get UTIs and kidney infections all on their own, it is not an automatic indicator of an std. I really don't think you have much to go on at this point as far as being suspicious of your wife.

And if that wasn't what you were implying, my appologies.

Closed Thread