It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
(female)

sherry70380 HB User
Unhappy can someone go to school for nursing if they have herpes

hi
i tried looking for some information everywhares. my questions is can someone with herpes become a nurse? i know that herpes is something u can catch by sex or fluids. in the nursing field u wear gloves so before i spend lots of money on school i would like to know. if i cant then i guess its just a dream that i will never be able to do. any information would be helpful. thanks so much.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
(female)

tribbles999 HB User
Re: can someone go to school for nursing if they have herpes

Having Herpes shouldn't prevent you from being in the nursing field. Nurses wear gloves when dealing with bodily fluids. Unless you have a Herpes outbreak on your hands or in some place that's not normal and the patient would come into contact with the secretions then your safe. I'm going to assume you won't be kissing or sharing bodily fluids with your patients.

Herpes comes in the form of type 1 which is most likely the one people get on their lips, or face, and type 2 which is most likely on the genitals. Keep in mind you can get either type pretty much anywhere you have membranes. It is possible to get Herpes in your nose, an open wound, your rectum, mouth, and occasionally it will follow the nerve patterns on your body. This means you could get an outbreak on your abdomen, leg, thigh or anyplace the nerves run.

Most people with Herpes can do any profession they wish. You just need to be aware of your symptoms and when your shedding the virus. Obviously if you have an outbreak you couldn't touch it and then touch any patient without properly sanitizing your hands. Properly sanitizing your hands is normal procedure for prevention of diseases in the nursing profession. There are several medications available that will lessen and reduce outbreaks if you have them frequently.

Talk to your doctor about your concerns and he/she can tell you when and where you need to be concerned. Good luck and don't let Herpes stand in the way of your dreams.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
(female)

sherry70380 HB User
Re: can someone go to school for nursing if they have herpes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribbles999 View Post
Having Herpes shouldn't prevent you from being in the nursing field. Nurses wear gloves when dealing with bodily fluids. Unless you have a Herpes outbreak on your hands or in some place that's not normal and the patient would come into contact with the secretions then your safe. I'm going to assume you won't be kissing or sharing bodily fluids with your patients.

Herpes comes in the form of type 1 which is most likely the one people get on their lips, or face, and type 2 which is most likely on the genitals. Keep in mind you can get either type pretty much anywhere you have membranes. It is possible to get Herpes in your nose, an open wound, your rectum, mouth, and occasionally it will follow the nerve patterns on your body. This means you could get an outbreak on your abdomen, leg, thigh or anyplace the nerves run.

Most people with Herpes can do any profession they wish. You just need to be aware of your symptoms and when your shedding the virus. Obviously if you have an outbreak you couldn't touch it and then touch any patient without properly sanitizing your hands. Properly sanitizing your hands is normal procedure for prevention of diseases in the nursing profession. There are several medications available that will lessen and reduce outbreaks if you have them frequently.

Talk to your doctor about your concerns and he/she can tell you when and where you need to be concerned. Good luck and don't let Herpes stand in the way of your dreams.
(THANKS SO MUCH) I BEEN TRYING TO GET INFO ON THIS FOR A WHILE NOW IT WAS VERY HELPFUL

Closed Thread