It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

babsie HB User
Red face HELP!!! bad reaction to Aldara... has anyone had genital warts removed any other way?

I was using aldara for HPV genital warts and it caused blisters down there and it was a nightmare. it hurts to do anything and the pain is paralyzing. My doctor said it sounds like i had an allergic reaction to the medication and to try it again in a week. does this make any sense? i'm still going to be allergic to it in a week...i was just wondering if the once a week treatment they do in the doctors office might be a little less painful than the aldara cream??? if anybody knows or has had the similar reaction to aldara. thanks

Old 05-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
(female)

honeyb62 HB User
Re: HELP!!! bad reaction to Aldara...has anyone had genital warts removed any other w

I took aldara for 5 weeks and has terrible reaction. My doctor told me to just keep going. I got a second opinion, that doctor said STOP!!! Some people have little or no side effects, but those that do can be miserable. I have had diarrhea, nausea, tingling in hands, feet, legs, and back pain. I stopped the aldara in February, and am still having symptoms. My oncologists has referred me to a reumatologist to see if aldara may have triggered some sort of autoimmune disorder. The pain in my legs and feet is terrible. I hope your symptoms go away soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

babsie HB User
Re: HELP!!! bad reaction to Aldara...has anyone had genital warts removed any other w

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyb62 View Post
I took aldara for 5 weeks and has terrible reaction. My doctor told me to just keep going. I got a second opinion, that doctor said STOP!!! Some people have little or no side effects, but those that do can be miserable. I have had diarrhea, nausea, tingling in hands, feet, legs, and back pain. I stopped the aldara in February, and am still having symptoms. My oncologists has referred me to a reumatologist to see if aldara may have triggered some sort of autoimmune disorder. The pain in my legs and feet is terrible. I hope your symptoms go away soon.
o myyyyyyyy wow thats baaad. yea my symptoms went away a week ago and i was instructed to start it again this week so i started it wednesday and im so scared!!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
(female)

trolleydolley HB User

whatever you do DO NOT USE THIS CREAM to get rid of genital warts! This is the worst cream in the world! after being prescribed it by my doctor when i discovered 2 GW i used it for 3 days. I litterally had a downstairs as balooned out as 2 golf balls! my labia could have easily been mistaken for balls! not only that every inch of my lower region including the parts were i had applied the cream was burnt! it was that burnt my labia was completley white! i found it hard even going to the loo and when i did i had to be prescribed local anasthetic cream (from the GUM clinic) to numb it as much as i could! it was that bad i couldnt even walk for over 2 weeks! after going through all of this my 2 small warts had turned into 3 giant warts that had to be frozen off, i wish the doctor would have done this from day one and saved me from all the pain and trips to accident and emergency department because of the pain! so my message to you ladies/gents who get the chance to use aldara....DONT!!! ITS NOT WORTH IT!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

I wouldnt know, I dont have hpv. However, it seems to me like everybody reacts differently and some people are fine with the cream while others have an allergy to it. If you are afraid to use it, I would get tested, just to rule out the possiblity of a simultaneous herpes infection. If you dont have herpes, I would assume it's the cream, in which case, every time you use it you are going to have an unpleasant reaction. And if it is, infact the cream, then I wouldnt use it. There are other methods of getting rid of these things, even natural methods which you may be more comfortable with. I have heard that caster oil on cotton balls works a miracle. You soak them in the oil, use surgical tape and tape the cotton ball on the wart, and keep it saturated day and night. Theory has it that withing about 2 weeks, sometimes sooner, your warts should be gone or at least greatly reduced. Good luck to you.
Melissa

Old 03-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I got rid of one using a non prescription wart paint, dabbed on with a toth pick. Coveredit with a bit of micropore tape. Did that each day for days, it dropped off, bled a bit, and was gone for good

Old 05-19-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
(female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User

with regards to any topical cream, it is best to test it on a patch of skin less sensitive than the genital area first to check for an allergic reaction.

as for alternative methods, i was having some success with Trichloracetic Acid (TCM). this procedure is actually pretty common. i switched from TCM to Aldara because i travel a lot, but if you have a stable schedule and can make weekly appointments, you may find some success with TCM as well. upon application it stings quite acutely, but that usually wanes within a minute or two. it may sting a little bit for a few hours afterward, but it is negligible.

hope you find a solution. sorry Aldara didn't work out for you

Old 05-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
(female)

yahteez HB User

what did you do for the blisters and how long did it take to get rid of them

Old 05-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

babsie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel30 View Post
I wouldnt know, I dont have hpv. However, it seems to me like everybody reacts differently and some people are fine with the cream while others have an allergy to it. If you are afraid to use it, I would get tested, just to rule out the possiblity of a simultaneous herpes infection. If you dont have herpes, I would assume it's the cream, in which case, every time you use it you are going to have an unpleasant reaction. And if it is, infact the cream, then I wouldnt use it. There are other methods of getting rid of these things, even natural methods which you may be more comfortable with. I have heard that caster oil on cotton balls works a miracle. You soak them in the oil, use surgical tape and tape the cotton ball on the wart, and keep it saturated day and night. Theory has it that withing about 2 weeks, sometimes sooner, your warts should be gone or at least greatly reduced. Good luck to you.
Melissa
I do also have herpes but this was no herpes outbreak!!! trolleydolley's post is identical to what happened to me. IT WAS THE HORRIBLE CREAM!!! AHHHHH

Old 05-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

babsie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahteez View Post
what did you do for the blisters and how long did it take to get rid of them
i did nothing for the blisters. there really wasnt anything to do about them. i waited it out in horrendous pain for about 2 weeks =O

Old 05-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #11
(female)

yahteez HB User

apple cider vinager..... i had a bad reaction to aldara. The acv is actually working...!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
(female)

bubbles4u HB User

First of all, I agree with trolleydolley... Aldara isn't good for you!!! My doctor gave me that to start off with,and it also caused problems(plus my warts only got worse). Second of all, all of you need to get different doctors..It sounds like some of you have allergic reactions or this medication isn't for you.. Get a doctor who is willing to take the time to talk to you about this disease and to burn the warts off with acid! My doctor sent me to an obgyn who was very mean to me about getting this disease, but he did stop it! He was so mean to me that my best friend called him a donkey(lol)... However, he took the time to explain the disease to me, then he took me in and used a q-tip and some acid and dapped it on each wart I had down there... He sent me home with a small bottle of acid..I got a person to dap the warts for me when it said I needed too.. It's a little painful when this is done(not that bad though), and it works!!! I had one outbreak ever, and it was my last outbreak(knock on wood)... I got this disease when I was twenty-three, and I am now twenty-nine... I might have been a little younger than that...I can't remember because it's been so long... Don't put yourself down or feel like it's the end of the world because you have this...I did, and it only put myself in a bad depression that made me gain way too much weight!! I wasn't sleeping around or doing anything bad...I just got with someone dishonest who knew she had the disease and couldn't tell me! You should always tell your partners and educate them about your disease BEFORE they even develop any feelings for you(it's only fair to that person)... I am a lesbian and the partners I've had after this disease excepted me, and luckly they didn't catch the disease... The doctor I have now told my girlfriend and I that I am pretty much clean.. It's not the end of the world... If you need advice on how to tell your partner about this or any advice, I know about it... ask me!!!

Old 11-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
(female)

missdior HB User

right whatever you do, DO NOT USE THIS CREAM.
i was diagonised with genital warts when i visited my local GUM clinic, they gave me "ALDARA" cream to use every 2 days at night and to wash off in the morning, luckly my boyfriend would apply it so carefully so that it only touched the infected areas.

first application - was fine

second application - LIVING HELL FOR 2 WEEKS

symptoms:
i could not WALK, it felt like i was being stabbed, impossible to sleep because if i moved in the slightest it felt like my vagina was ripping apart, i was constantly crying and depressed, i went back to my GUM clinic, they tested me for HERPES!! no you dumbarses look what this cream you have given me has done, they never made me aware of these suicidal side effects. they told me just to take it easy and wear something that would get the air to it, because by now, from my crack to the front was oozing yellow stuff, like massive sores, i found it impossible to do anything in my day to day life .

after 2 days of visiting the clinic, still feeling really really low i visited my doctor, they suggested vagasil , i rung my GUM clinic and they said whatever you do dont put that on the sores, DOES ANY NURSE OR DOCTOR know what they are doing now days?!?!?! course not.

i was given an antibotics and the sores got much better within a few days. to ease the pain when walking , i know how silly it sounds but .. i used cotton wool balls between my crack, this softened the movement , yet still vvvvvvv painful it eased it.

after the reaction cleared up , instead of only having 2 warts that i started with, the bad reaction fired it up to at least 15.

i was living in a nightmare, i know you should think that people have it alot worse etc, but seriously this was the worse pain ive ever endured, it upset my boyfriend to see me like that, i was at my lowest and im usually a strong person. i felt sucidal.

i only wished they had use freezing treatment first , they've all gone now and havent come back , but this was the worse thing ive ever been through in my whole life, being diagnosed with having genital warts is one thing but then having to go through this aswell is another, DO NOT USE IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. THIS MAY NOT HAPPEN TO YOU BUT IS IT WORTH THE RISK??

THANKFULLY I HAVE NO SCARRING OR ANYTHING, BUT I SHALL BE MENTALLY SCARRED FOR LIFE.

The following user gives a hug of support to missdior:
babsie (11-20-2010)
Old 09-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
(female)

127mary HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahteez View Post
apple cider vinager..... i had a bad reaction to aldara. The acv is actually working...!
Are you talking about the "vinegar" we get athe grocery store, or the real kind with the "mother" floating on the bottom that we can get at a health food co-op store?

Closed Thread

Tags
aldara, genital warts, hpv