It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

phoxyphearse HB User
I don't know what to believe

I was in the ER for abdominal and back pain 2 weeks ago and had a pelvic exam and pelvic ultrasound done, but the doctor said everything looked ok and that I might have had a ruptured ovarian cyst. She gave me copies of my blood and urine tests and the pelvic exam findings (which were just that there was a small amount of free fluid in the pelvic) and sent me home.

4 days later the hospital called and said they had lab results for me but I missed the call and had to wait til monday. Monday I was told the infection was gonorrhea. First of all, I have had no symptoms of it whatsoever. The ER doctor never told me she was doing any STD tests, and no one even bothered to tell me "hey we think you might have an STD so you shouldn't have sex until we get your results". They said the antibiotic I got should have cured it but I needed to have all my sexual partners tested. I've only had sex with ONE person, we've been together 3 years, and we use condoms 100% of the time. He had only been with one person before me and they also always used condoms, plus he hasn't had any symptoms so my diagnosis was confusing to say the least.

Well, my abdominal and back pain didn't go away. I ended up in the ER again two days ago, and I was told I have a kidney infection now. I can't understand why they didn't find that the last 3 times I went to the ER and gave them urine samples and blood. And today my boyfriend got his test results back and he was negative for any STD. This seems like an impossible situation. I am worried the hospital mixed up my lab test, especially since I was never told I was having an STD test to begin with so I don't even know where they got samples.

The problem is that if I did have it, the antibiotic cured it so if I get retested, it won't show up. But I don't want to just let this go because if I was wrongly diagnosed, so was someone else and who knows if my other lab results are accurate. Plus I don't want my boyfriend thinking I might have cheated on him. What can I do? Shouldn't I have been informed if I was being tested for STDs and told not to have sex until I got the results? I don't understand what's going on, how I could have gonorrhea but my one sexual partner doesn't, how I never had any symptoms, and how the treatment didn't help me anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2009, 02:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: I don't know what to believe

I agree with you that this is a suspicious situation. If I were in your shoes, I would forget about the ER and followup with my doctor. Sometimes ER's can be very busy and mistakes sometimes do happen. Ask your doctor for another ultrasound or perhaps for a referral to a nephrologist to follow up on the kidney infection (this is nothing to fool around with). Don't rely on the ER for your health care. You should also be retested to make sure that there is no STD present. Telling you that the antibiotics "should have taken care of it" is not enough. I also assume that your boyfriend is a very trustworthy individual and that he was telling you the truth when he said that he was tested and checked out. Errors definitely occur in hospitals, as anywhere else so check things out for yourself.

Closed Thread