It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
(male)

faithfulguy HB User
Question Trichomoniasis - Is this possible?

Here's my situation...

My fiancée has been "preliminarily" diagnosed with Trichomoniasis by a doctor in the Philippines. She gave her a pap smear today but said results will be in by Feb 26.

Here's our situation though. I was married back in early 2003-mid 2004 and my wife "pam" had borderline personality disorder and the marriage ended in divorce in mar 2005. No sex occured from June 2004 on with *anyone* as I had been so traumatized by the marriage I didn't even want to kiss anyone ever again till my wedding day if I ever remarried. Before that marriage I had one sexual partner only in a previous fiancée "simone" was a virgin when we met but I discovered she had become a sex addict and wanting sex all the time so I ended it.

Fast forward to Dec 2007, I meet my now fiancée "nerilee" who was a virgin when we met and despite my trying to keep the relationship pure before marriage I loved her and one day she was wanting to give herself to me and I didn't want to make her feel hurt or rejected and we started a sexual relationship. She is in a 3rd world country.

Early in 2010 I moved back to the USA to finalize my citizenship so we can get married and so I can sponsor her as a citizen so we don't have to stay living in her country which is poor and somewhat dangerous. I have been 110% faithful to her and she went off to a missionary training school for 6 months.

In December I went back to visit her for Christmas for a couple of weeks and being engaged and the protracted process towards marriage we did sleep together again. I know she has been faithful as have I. I left the country to return to the USA Jan 8.

Today a doctor said she thinks she has Trichomoniasis and gave her a pap smear but the results are due next week. She developed symptoms of a vaginal infection just 3 days ago, which is 36 days beyond when I left and longer than the 5-28 days normally cited. She has been working at the missionary training center and has 2 sisters who watch over her closely at home. I have been in contact with her virtually every day when she has been home. She's doing childcare every morning so I know she has not had any opportunity to even consider being unfaithful.

The question I have is if I was a carrier, wouldn't Trichomoniasis have shown up in 2008 when we first started our sexual relationship? Can the parasite exist in me for 3.5 years before I met her and then only infect her 3 years after we started a sexual relationship?

A few weeks ago she went to Manila with a female missionary friend who has a child for a visa interview. She had a bath at the hotel and did wash up into her private areas. Towels were dry not sure how much moisture was in the room. That was about 5-6 days before symptoms of a vaginal infection occured. The area around the hotel had a lot of bars around it and likely the hotel room could have been used for prostitutes by others before she got the room. I wonder if it's some other sort of infection.

Could this really be Trichomoniasis and if so is it even possible given our circumstances? I mean I would have had to have been infected pre Jul 2004 and it has been 7 years before this shows up? That doesn't sound right.

Last edited by faithfulguy; 02-16-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User
Re: Trichomoniasis - Is this possible?

I understand your concern, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here!! Why did the doctor even suspect trich? Because there is no way he can know from just looking. There are a few vaginal infections out there that resemble trich (as far symptoms). So there's really no way of knowing if it's trich without the pap!

So if I were you, I wouldn't even think about trich. It's more likely that she just has an bacterial infection like BV or maybe even a yeast infection. It is possible that sex disrupted her pH levels (apparently our pH levels can get disrupted easily) and caused the infection. Either way, a daily dose of acidophilus probiotics isn't a bad idea. Helps keeps our natural pH levels balanced. There are yogurts and cheeses that do this. But I find a pill a day is easier.

Hope everything turns out ok!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
(male)

faithfulguy HB User

That's what I was thinking as well. The doctor is a female philippine doctor and honestly I don't trust her. It's completely irresponsible for her to tell my fiancée she has an STD when I'm the only one she has ever been with. My guess is it's BV but my fiancée said she checked her cervix.

I'm still wanting to know though if it is even possible for me to have Trich even though the previous sexual partner was 6.5 years ago and was my former wife. The marriage only lasted 1.5 years.

I am so angry right now, if this came from my former wife back in 2004 and I've been carrying it all this time she is going to cop an earful. If the doctor was wrong and the tests come back with something else like BV then the doctor is going to get an earful. Did she not realize the ramifications of such an accusation if what she is saying has no possible basis in happening?

Again can anyone give any idea if Trich can last in a male for 6.5 years + and not infect a woman until 3 years into a sexual relationship?

I just want to get to the bottom of this, and I'm angry, I feel like I've been falsely accused and how much damage could this do to our relationship... The only other possibility if it is Trich is that it CAN be caught via non-sexual means. I mean Manila doesn't exactly have a clean water system and I've seen parasites grow in the bottom of the shower there.

Last edited by faithfulguy; 02-16-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

From American standards, it is completely irresponsible to give ANY diagnosis without an examination!!! Primarily because of lawsuits! (maybe not primarily bc of lawsuits, but doctors always try to avoid malpractice lawsuits and wrong diagnosis sounds like malpractice!). So you do have to take in to account that we're talking about a different country with different etiquettes and procedures. As far as you know, Trich is 'the' common STD of the area, so assuming Trich may be norm???

Hopefully someone else can chime in with more trich knowledge. Because I don't know much about it. I actually just recently learned about it because I had some 'weird' symptoms for the first time in my life and was freaking out!!! It turned out to be BV (gardenerella (sp) bacteria- stilll, it's ewww to me!). In between waiting for my results, I did all this research and it was between either BV or an STD (trich- but I knew it wasn't as STD). Turned out to officially be BV which the doctor said can happen if you've been sexually INactive for a while (disruption of pH levels). Taking Probiotics daily NOW!!!!

Regardless if it's Trich (or BV- I think it's BV), don't be mad at anyone. No one has been unfaithful. And if it is Trich, it's something you unknowingly carried from your past. If you haven't gotten STD testing in between past wife an current wife, it's a great time to do so REGARDLESS!!!! There are a few STDs that are 'silent' for both male and female. So even if you haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, it doesn't hurt to just get a full STD test and know you are starting fresh! Same for her. Not sure what MNL STD testing is like. But it wouldn't hurt to just get tested for everything. Especially since no one has anything to hide. And this will eliminate any 'false accusations'. (PS, is she accusing you? Just asking because she may not be accusing you, just simply asking you. Nothing wrong with asking about your past since she doesn't have one).

I can't help you with your Trich questions. And I really hope someone can so you can feel more at ease. But I just want to tell you not to be upset at anyone. In theory, you should have gotten tested for STDs before/ after relationships or anytime you're sexually active and not using protection. So you should also be mad at yourself for not knowing your current status. Everyone has to be responsible for their own bodies. And don't forget, just cause you're a guy and she was a virgin, you have to be responsible for your own body! So asking her for a full STD test is not unreasonable.

Again, hope you get better answers!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
(female)

louis1985 HB User

In many cases men can hold the parasite for years without and signs. It can stay dormant.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
(male)

faithfulguy HB User

are there any doctors who can answer this?

Closed Thread