It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

keyring HB User
I think I got a false positive for Chlamydia

Ok here is my story....

I was tested 1/31/11 for all vaginal infections and tested negative for everything.
I am pregnant and at my first prenatal exam (3/3/11),a month later, I tested positive for chlamydia. I really think that something is not right.

I had sex with my boyfriend once ( two weeks after the first test) in between the two dates and the nurse said that I must have contracted the infection on that date.
I told my boyfriend about it and he says that has not cheated on me and that he knows that i haven't cheated so the test must me wrong. I believe that he has not cheated on me, it is not in his character. I don't believe that in between 1/31 and 2/11 that he has sex with another girl contracted chlamydia and the gave it to me. I also have not been with anyone else.

Also at my prenatal exam i tested positive for BV and a yeast infection. I am wondering if there was some kind of mix up. I went to get a second test done from a different doctor to be sure. I have to wait 7 days for the results though .

My boyfriend will also get tested, but will have to wait until Monday now. I really don't know what to think right now. I am sure he was faithful, I am 100% sure I was ,faithful, and I am really shocked about having a negative result and then having a positive result 4 weeks later.

I guess I don't really have a question other than has anyone had a false positive of some kind of mix up? Also I want to make this thread so that when I add updates that it might help someone else in the future.

I have been researching and found threads on message boards with women claiming that were positive and then negative with the second test. I hope this will be the case with me.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: I think I got a false positive for Chlamydia

I just did some quick research, and found an article about it.
It says, in part:

[deleted]

That's a small excerpt from the article.
Maybe I'm just tired right now, but the language used is a bit too technical for me to decipher. I don't really entirely understand what it's saying.

It does seem to state, however, that false-positive results are possible. Perhaps not only possible, but common.

Again, if somebody else reads that excerpt and has a different take on it, I won't be at all offended. My brain doesn't seem to be working well tonight, and I'm not able to make much sense out of the article.
But I'm pretty sure it addresses the issue of false-positive Chlamydia tests during pregnancy, and I'm equally sure it would not bother to do so if they didn't occur from time to time.
Therefore, I'm guessing it is quite possible to get a false-positive Chlamydia test.

Of course, it's also possible that the test wasn't wrong, and you actually had Chlamydia.
But maybe you didn't.
You'll probably never know for sure.

Good luck with your pregnancy.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 03-18-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: These boards are for your own writing only, do not post text from other sources. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
(female)

keyring HB User

I just found all this out today btw. Well i did get a second test done today. So I will wait to see what it says. I did take the pill anyway just in case because I don't want to harm my child. My boyfriend will get tested Monday because now it's the weekend. I will keep you updated when i receive the results.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 03-18-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.

The following user gives a hug of support to keyring:
Kali333 (03-10-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
(female)

keyring HB User

Hey, just wanted to update the situation. I got my re-test results back and they came back negative! I was soo relieved. The nurse said chlamydia test results that come back as false-positives are somewhat common. So my advice to anyone that gets a positive chlamydia test and you are sure that both you and your partner have been faithful PLEASE get retested before taking any antibiotics. You never know, it might save your relationship and your peace of mind.

Closed Thread