It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
(female)

TxTT HB User
hubby has genital warts-I do not after 11yrs of unprotected sex with him

So, I have been trying to research and can't seem to find any information on why I would not be infected after all this time. I have seen a doctor often.

I knew right after the relationship started but did not give it much thought...dumb, I know. We had a great sex life but lately he has been worried about sex after a visit the doctor and the dx was confirmed. About a year ago. I guess its my mind that scares me. We have not had sex since that visit.

Does anyone have any insite? Can I be immune? I so want my sex life back as he does. Condoms would be an option by his warts are on other skin that would touch mine.

Any help would be appreciated. I miss my husband.

Thanks much.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: hubby has genital warts-I do not after 11yrs of unprotected sex with him

If you've had intercourse with your husband while he's had genital warts, it's not that you haven't been infected, or that you're immune, but that you have been infected and your body has suppressed the virus since the initial exposure. You may have had such a mild outbreak you couldn't see it or it was internal but if you've been having sex w/your husband, you've got it.

So, since you already have it, you can go back to having sex with him. There's no reason at all not to.

The only question I have is how could he have visible genital warts for 11 years? The body usually clears the warts within 2 years all on its own. And wouldn't they get annoying after a while and have made him want to get rid of them?

The Following User Says Thank You to Thisby For This Useful Post:
TxTT (08-24-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
(female)

TxTT HB User

He had them in the beginning and had them burned off. Since then until about a year ago, I didnt see them again, and he didnt either. When they came back, we went to the doctor and they burned..or iced..whatever it was again and are gone.

Ive had Paps and I dont have a cervix any longer and have never had an outbreak that I have seen. Would the doc tell me after my female exams that I did have the virus? She never has said it.

So, as long as he doesnt have an active outbreak, its ok to have sex? Or since I am more than likely to be infected already it doesnt matter? He wont touch me when they are on him. He was working offshore when this first came up a very long time ago. Then they came back and he told me and thats when we went to the doc. He wouldnt have sex with me because we both thought I was clear. Its more of a mind thing with me for some reason now, but your answer has helped alot.

I have alot of medical problems and could almost be a doc with these, but when it comes to this, you can see how much I dont know. Crazy huh? Not very smart.

I appreciate your reply very much. Thank you.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Hi TxTT, there are a few things to consider here - the strains of HPV that cause warts are not the same strains that cause cervical cell changes (which can lead to cancer); the PAP test only checks for cervical cell changes, it's not a specific HPV test; and you could carry different strains of HPV but not show any warts or cell changes anywhere in that area, not just the cervix.

So once you lump all those together, it's very likely you already have what he has. The only reason to worry and be abstinent (and I'm not insinuating you should!) is if he were to have gotten a NEW strain of HPV. If it's his old one, you have to assume you already have it. And if it's warts, it's only warts - those strains aren't the cancer causing kind.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thisby For This Useful Post:
TxTT (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
(female)

TxTT HB User

Gotcha. I don't have any reason to believe it would be a new strain of the virus and now I understand about the HPV.

So, Im going to go on with the assumption I do have the virus and unless the actual warts appear again, will begin our sex life. He can have them frozen if they do show up.

I am going to ask him to make an appt with the doc in the near future so we can go in like mature married adults and ask the questions we need to ask like we should have done many years ago.

I so appreciate your help. So many views to the post and I thank you for stepping up and helping me. I am hopeful that I can get the intimacy back that we both miss so much. It only comes from being stupid and not addressing the issue when we should. He is willing to do whatever I would like and know he will make another appt.

You have a great day. Thanks so much.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

No problem!

Good luck at the doctor's appointment.

Closed Thread