It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
(male)

jerrow HB User
Levaquin for Persistant Chlamydia?

Hi,

I must have a rare strain of chlamydia. I've already gone through three courses of antibiotics (azithromycin twice and then 10 days of doxycycline) and I still test positive for chlamydia. Now my urologist is prescribing Levaquin but I'm afraid to take it because of the possible serious side effects I've been reading. Also, it's not longer recommended for chlamydia.

Has anyone taken Levaquin before? Is it safe? Was it successful for you?

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
(female)

weaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB User
Re: Levaquin for Persistant Chlamydia?

Are you still having sex with the person that gave it to you? Did that person get treated for it too? I would try anything to get rid of it. Itís not good on your body to have Chlamydia for a long period of time.

Hysterectomy
Appendectomy
Cholecystectomy
Sinus surgery
Tonsillectomy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #3
(male)

jerrow HB User

No, I stopped having sex once I discovered I had it.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It's true, levaquin is nastier than other antibiotics, and shouldn't be used as a first line treatment for minor infections. Still, you tried the milder antibiotics and they failed. Chlamydia needs to be treated.

Give it a try. Just avoid hard exercise or extreme sports during treatment and for a few weeks after.

Just a thought. Have they done a sensitivity culture? At this point, it might make more sense than pouring one antibiotic after another down your throat.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
jerrow (10-08-2011)
Old 10-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
(male)

jerrow HB User

Sensitivity culture? Is that the test where they figure out what antibiotic would work? No, I don't think they did that. They only did tests to verify I have chlamydia. I believe they did a culture first then they did PCR tests for the chlamydia DNA.

A sensitivity culture makes a lot of sense but sounds like a lot of work for them. Do hospitals do this? I'll ask my doctor about it if Levaquin fails.

Closed Thread