It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Share Your Acne Story Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 05:12 AM   #1
(male)

zerofax77 HB User
chemical burn from acne medication

here's a continuation from an old thread...

"In July 2001 I was suffering from cystic like pimples under my nose which weren't responding to any treatment. Eventually I became frustrated and applied two BP products to the infected areas (right under each nostril, the 2 BP products being Maximum Strength OXY Pads and Maximum Strength Persa-Gel 10% Benzoyl Peroxide) and hoped that would cure the problem. Needless to say, it burned like heck but in my ignorance I assumed "no pain no gain!"
I kept this up for 3 or 4 days...the area which I applied the BP to started peeling and became really dry but I thought nothing else of it. A few days after the peeling subsided the area became very red and irritated. That area is STILL red, a full year later! The last derm I went to said it was dermatitis...however I can't accept that it's just a coincidence. So, that brings me to my question. Is it possible to permanently burn the skin with a large amount of benozyl peroxide? Thanks for the help in advance!"

posted by scooterman in 2002, [url]http://www4.healthboards.com/ubb/Archives/Archive-000006/HTML/20030416-1-009915.html[/url]

my story is very similar. i used benzoyl peroxide for two months in 2001 whenever i first started college, as well as other pads and chemicals. i hated the fact that i had acne, and so i started using these topical lotions and pads excessively. i would go to bed at night with extreme burning sensations on my around my nose area, but i didn't care. i was young, insecure, and most of all i wanted to get laid. well now it has been seven years after the fact, and my skin is still unchanged from being chemically burned. had i been less reclusive and more smart i would have instantly sued the makers. still, i don't feel it's fair that i have to live with these burns for the rest of my life!! i'm not kidding on the severity. dermatoligists agree with me that it's a chemical burn, but they disagree that it was from acne medication?! my face has uneven pigmentation and severe redness. under my eyes are uneven dark circles. the one on the right being larger. the other day my little niece was playing outside and i came outside to the get a drink from our outside fridge and she screamed at my presence then said, "shoo shoo." so... i don't go out much, and i try to get through college. i've at least gained the courage now to get through that finally....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread