It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Share Your Acne Story Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
(male)

tofer HB User
Unhappy roaccutane side effects

i was 13 when i first got acne on my face but by the time i was 17 it had evolved into cystic acne all over my chest and back. i had been on all types of antibiotics from the doctor but nothin worked. i was then sent to see a dermadologist who put me on a course of roaccutane. im not sure of the does but it was high. i continued with this for almost 2 years on and off. then had a break for a year then back on for another year. off again as it had improved then one final year on it. during this time i took an overdose and have been suffering from depression ever since. it is now 20 years on from when i first started the first lot of roaccutane and i have realised i have depression and need to see someone. i am married with 2 young children and this depression is having a detramental effect on my marriage. i work abroad 5weeks in brazil then 5 weeks at home with my family in scotland. im a grown man and am in tears most days with it. is there anyone else out there who has side effects from roaccutane?

Old 06-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
(female)

amber343 HB User
Re: roaccutane side effects

Hi Tofie.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. It is good that you have decided that you would benefit from seeing someone about you depression. I know it sometimes takes a good length of time via GP referral but maybe you could find some other way of talking to someone about how you feel?

I took roaccutane for three months. I had horrible side effects but my acne was so bad and I wanted to stick at it for aslong as I could. I was on 40mg daily. From day one I started having slight chest discomfort, over the weeks it gradually got worse and was apparently causing me muscularskeletal pain. I was given the option to lower the dosage at the end of my first month assessment- my pain still continued. I was orginally on a 4 month treatment plan but at the end of the three months I couldn't continue. I knew deep down it was best for me to come off with it and lead the life i used to.

My mood dramatically changed when on it. I became very emotional and quiet, I did not wanna go out. I got very annoyed at the slightest things and had violent urges, like i wanted to lash out on someone, i never did but i really felt the need to.

I hope I have helped you a little. It must be hard whenever this is causing strain on your marriage. I really hope you get the help you need soon. Where abouts in Scotland do you live? I moved to Glasgow 10 months ago

Take care, Amber x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
(male)

tofer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber343 View Post
Hi Tofie.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. It is good that you have decided that you would benefit from seeing someone about you depression. I know it sometimes takes a good length of time via GP referral but maybe you could find some other way of talking to someone about how you feel?

I took roaccutane for three months. I had horrible side effects but my acne was so bad and I wanted to stick at it for aslong as I could. I was on 40mg daily. From day one I started having slight chest discomfort, over the weeks it gradually got worse and was apparently causing me muscularskeletal pain. I was given the option to lower the dosage at the end of my first month assessment- my pain still continued. I was orginally on a 4 month treatment plan but at the end of the three months I couldn't continue. I knew deep down it was best for me to come off with it and lead the life i used to.

My mood dramatically changed when on it. I became very emotional and quiet, I did not wanna go out. I got very annoyed at the slightest things and had violent urges, like i wanted to lash out on someone, i never did but i really felt the need to.

I hope I have helped you a little. It must be hard whenever this is causing strain on your marriage. I really hope you get the help you need soon. Where abouts in Scotland do you live? I moved to Glasgow 10 months ago

Take care, Amber x
thanks amber, it is a help knowing other people have had similar experiences. i thought i was all alone. i am now due to fly home to scotland aberdeen today after only been onboard the vessel for 3 days. i hope my boss is understanding as its a big job to fly me 7000 miles just like that. my wife has booked me in to see doctor on monday so hopefully that will be a start. the symtoms you had, i had also. i just bottled them up and tried to get on with life but it has gradually worn me down. it is a help talking . my mother in law also had depression years ago and recovered so i talk to her easier than talkin to my wife as i dont want to burden her with my problems. i hope this time next week i will be feeling better.
take care

Old 06-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
(female)

amber343 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofer View Post
thanks amber, it is a help knowing other people have had similar experiences. i thought i was all alone. i am now due to fly home to scotland aberdeen today after only been onboard the vessel for 3 days. i hope my boss is understanding as its a big job to fly me 7000 miles just like that. my wife has booked me in to see doctor on monday so hopefully that will be a start. the symtoms you had, i had also. i just bottled them up and tried to get on with life but it has gradually worn me down. it is a help talking . my mother in law also had depression years ago and recovered so i talk to her easier than talkin to my wife as i dont want to burden her with my problems. i hope this time next week i will be feeling better.
take care
Keep me updated on how you get on at the doctors if you want to. Always here for a wee chat. Aww Aberdeen, I've yet to visit there. It's really best that you try to sort how you are feeling out, it will take time and challenges will lie ahead but you can over come this i'm sure.

It's good that your mother in law is there for you but dont feel like you are being a burden on your wife- i'm sure you'd want to help her if things were the other way about. It was good of her to get you an appointment sorted for monday.

All the best

Closed Thread