It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Share Your Acne Story Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

Spottyhottie HB User
Acne and gluten

Hey guys,
Just thought I'd post up here as have been looking for a cure for my acne. I have had moderate pimples since I was about 14 and I have tried everything. When I was 15 I went on two years of oxytetracycline for them which didn't actually do anything other than seeming to totally destroy my digestion. Following that a naturopath told me I had intestinal candida and the candida diet followed, but my symptoms barely changed and I still had bad acne. Weirdly I started to get migraines and heart palpitations and in the last few months I began to notice they seemed to be related to me eating very heavy wheat items like bread, muesli etc. So at the beginning of April I decided to cut out gluten. Anyway it didn't seem to be having much effect so after a week I gave up - but weirdly about 2 days later my face suddenly and miraculously cleared. I looked totally different, the pallo9r that seems to accompany my acne was gone, I looked tanned and the usual 15-20 spots I have went down to about 2-3. I actually looked well! That lasted for three days and then they returned with a vengeance (presumably because I went back on the wheat like a crazy woman!)
So I just wondered how many of you had had success with gluten? I suspect there is a knock on clearing effect for those of us that are sensitive and it takes 2 weeks or so for your system to clear enough for you to see the benefits on your face. I'm back on it now and 4 days in and praying that it works again. Staying off gluten would be a small price to pay for having great skin!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
(female)

Purplepenguin HB User
Re: Acne and gluten

Yes, I have noticed a connection between eating wheat and the appearance of acne!

I have had acne since I was a young teenager. When I was younger I believe my acne might have been a combination of hormonal acne and food allergies. I went to MANY doctors, and I mean a lot. Not many of them mentioned diet as a factor, and the couple that did simply said not to eat unhealthy or "greasy" foods.

I have tried a lot of products over the years as well, and my acne has come and gone in waves. Many products seem to work at first, but then the acne eventually comes back.

Not eating gluten has been the only thing that has given me consistent results and cleared up my skin. I don't know if I necessarily have Celiac disease, but I now believe I have some degree of gluten allergy or intolerance. After eating large amounts of gluten I don't have any really pronounced symptoms other than feeling generally yucky and sometimes getting a headache - and well, the acne!

Diet was never really discussed by the many dermatologists and doctors that I visisted. I really want to share my story, and I see that many people are now making the gluten-acne connection. The doctors that I had seen over the years were basically treating the symptoms and not getting to the root cause of my acne.

My mom now has noticed a link between eating gluten and her achy joints. If anyone has family members who are sensitive to gluten maybe it would be a good indicator that you could have some sensitivity as well!

Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
(male)

MG098 HB UserMG098 HB User
Re: Acne and gluten

Guys,

Great posts! Eliminating wheat and gluten will definitely help reduce acne. I tried this after ordering Acnegen and reading about it (they say to eliminate gluten).

Removing wheat and gluten from one's diet should help a lot!

-M

Last edited by moderator2; 11-29-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Closed Thread