It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Share Your Acne Story Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
(male)

holytolitothat HB User
Accutane, Personal Journey Of A 17 Year Old Male (Complete)

Hey guys,

Its been a few years (I'm now 21 years old), but I remember that at the time when I had really bad acne, I really wanted to get rid of it and then come back to one of these forums and explain my experience with it. Truth be told, acne was probably the hardest thing that I ever had to deal with. I was very, very self conscious of the way I looked from the ages of 15-17 and spent almost every single night researching ways of how I could deal with my problem.

I was up on the computer most nights until 2-3 am, searching for the latest and greatest products on Ebay, and whatever google would pop up, learning about the causes etc, but I couldn't fix it. By the way, I had quite bad acne on my forehead, and then a bit later on it carried through to my chin and all around my mouth, and because at the time I had a mop of hair on my head, it did a pretty good job hiding it. But whenever there was a gust of wind and my hair would raise up and reveal my poor skin, I was extremely embarassed. As a matter of fact, it really did consume my social life. I didn't go out because I didn't want people to see my "ugly" face. Got to a point where I was just too depressed to look at myself in the mirror in the bathroom. I always thought to myself, "this new thing that I'm about to try will fix it, and I'll be all better in a month". Well, a couple years of that and yes it did eventually work, but it was a rough time. Keep in mind, my life was pretty easy if the only thing I had to worry about were the pimples on my face...

I tried lots of things. Lets see. I tried Proactive, other simple face cleansers, moisturizers, glycolic acid peels, microdermabrasion, an ebay product that was supposed to work wonders that was almost like sand and benzoyl peroxide, a few other types of benzoyl peroxide treatments, clay masks. Tried about 3 or 4 more of the wonder kits similar to Pro active, I honestly forget what they were called. I changed the sheets in my bed, I took 2 showers a day, I bought something that attached to my shower head to clean the water before it came out, I stopped using products with sodium laurel and laureth sulfates, I ate good food, drank TONS of water everyday to try to flush my system, took colon cleanser pills, I could go on for a while guys..... I really did my homework.

Then my brother (who had acne as well, but it didn`t bother him nearly as much) wanted to visit a dermatologist. I was too nervous to ever ask my parents about one. Then as soon as he expressed interest in seeing a dermatologist I immediately chimed in and said that I wanted to as well. Well, after waiting for I believe 4 or 5 months for our appointment, I was put on Differin, as well as an anti-bacterial oral medication. Now this helped a bit, but definitely didn`t make things stop. So then I went back to the dermatologist, and tried a more potent form of Differin and something else, and that worked a little bit as well, but really dried out my skin, and I still had acne on my back as well (should have mentioned that earlier) and I REALLY didn`t want to have anyone look at my back, never mind rub ointments on it....

Thats when I finally went back to the dermatologist, and she recommended for me to go on a product called Accutane. Now I had read all about accutane, and understood that there were some horror stories to go along with it, but they were very rare. I was very willing to go through with it. My parents were a little bit hesitant and didn`t realise how much it meant for me to have nice looking skin. But I finally convinced them. We signed the papers, and I was put on a low dosage to start. I didn`t really notice anything kick in until about 2 weeks, and then I just began getting considerably less blemishes. When I was then put on the full dosage, all of the sudden my skin started to become extremely dry. I mean my arms were even getting extremely dry. I had to put lotion on them, but BIG DEAL! My face dried up too but i was getting NO MORE ZITS! NONE! My face cleared so fast, I couldn`t believe it. All I had left were the red marks from where acne once was, but who cares, at that point my face had looked better than it had in years. I kept up with the dosage and when I went back to visit the dermatologist she asked how it was working and I could not stop smiling, and she had complimented me on how much better my skin had looked. Things were looking up. I was even talking a lot more at school, I was smiling all of the time, all of my family members were telling my how great my skin looked. By the end of the 5-6 months that I was on Accutane, I had made a complete turn around, I was FREE of ACNE.

Guys, I can`t even begin to explain what this did for my self-confidence. Girls actually started to look at me (for the first time, WOW), I was talking way more to all of the people around me, making jokes, basically behaving the way that I would have when I was 13 years old, and just a happy kid. My life just got amazing. I loved to wake up every day and go to school. People treated me so differently (which is sad, but I guess that`s just life). I even got a girlfriend not too long after. I haven`t had to deal with anything very difficult in my life. I haven`t had loved ones pass away, having acne was really one of the hardest things that I ever had to deal with. I went from being an extremely outgoing and social person to a quiet, extremely shy introverted boy for a couple of years. Had only I gone on accutane so much earlier, but you know what, it really did give me a perspective on life.

Accutane was honestly one of the best things (if not the best, it could have very well been the best) that I ever did in my entire life. I got to be the person that I wanted to be when my face became remarkably clear. I`m now 21 years old, and I have never had any acne problems since I stopped accutane. Maybe the extremely odd blemish, but I didn`t even notice.

I wish everyone the best of luck with their acne experience, I know it can be rough, but when the door opens up believe me, it is a great feeling. Thanks for reading my experience and I wish you all the best!

Myles

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread