It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Share Your Anxiety Story Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
(male)

steckmas HB Usersteckmas HB Usersteckmas HB User
Long Battle With Anxiety

I've suffered with severe anxiety for at least half my life (16 years). Started in high school at the age of 16 after a summer of self-medicating a less severe anxiety with alcohol. Returned from summer break and quit drinking I don't know if it was really the natural progression of anxiety in me or some kind of withdrawel but needles to say I started having panic attacks and severe anxiety on a regular basis after that. Just picture getting incredibly scared and not knowing how or why and not being able to do anyting about it, and once it passed being in constant and increasing fear that it would happen again at the wrong time. Spent the last two years of high school like that and had no idea what was happening to me.
After high school bounced around different jobs and colleges due directly to my anxiety. Finally figured out what was wrong when I was 23 actually on another message board. I was just searching around for how I was feeling and what might be going on and happened to stumble upon anxiety, what it is and what it can and does do to people. I knew right away that this is what was plaguing me. Before that I just thought I was nuts.
I went to see a counselor shortly after that. I wrote down what happened to me because I knew there was no way I could explain it to her. Our first meeting I gave it to her at the end of our session. The next time I saw her she acurately diagnosed me with social anxiety, agoraphobia, and depression. All pretty severe as you could imagine suffering without any kind of treatment for almost five years. It is so profoundly sad what anxiety can do to someone, and the fact that so many have it and aren't getting treated for it , it's really truly heartbreaking .
So back to my story now. Since I figured out what I was suffering from and began treatment my life has started to return to me. There have been a lot of ups and downs, but as time goes by I'm continuing to get better. My mental health professionals are always impressed with how far I've been able to come from where I once was. I managed to graduate from college <edit> and get married. Work has been a struggle as of late but I currently have a job and am hopeful (and scared of course) about the future. I'm even going to be a father in February!
I look forward to chatting with you all and giving support/advice myself. I consider myself to be highly educated on anxiety and it's treatment. I've had to be.

To anyone suffering who should read this I would like to say you can and will get better with the right treatmen, so do me a favor and kick this things butt!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-21-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Removed posting rules violation. Ms_Mod

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: steckmas
Feejee (10-24-2011), klou52 (09-22-2011)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steckmas For This Useful Post:
capatga (03-07-2012), d0ink (03-03-2012), Lady Jay (09-16-2011), tmtad (04-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
(female)

sarafbaby HB User
Re: Long Battle With Anxiety

This was awesome to read!! I suffer from Anxiety and also have a therapist... learned that its mind over matter So I'm still working on getting this under control! Congrats on becoming a father

Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
(female)

KrissyO HB User

good luck in your maintenance and recovery!

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-01-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
(male)

kervan2 HB User

Good for you, positive mindset, always. I've been fortunate to be anxiety-free for a year now! Best wishes

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-01-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
(female)

janelle3 HB User

I'm so glad you shared your story with us all. I to have suffered for about 10 yrs with anxiety/panic. I have done the counseling and medication and thought it was all behind me, but unfortunately I've had a set back and now suffering again. <edit>

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-10-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Please read and follow the special rules that apply to this board. Ms_Mod

Old 02-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
(female)

klkane HB User

I am new to this forum, but just reading your story, reminds me of mine... Just finally learning what anxiety is and what it can do to you is very powerful in itself. I believe knowledge is power and maintening a better self is even more powerful. Congrats on being a father! Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
(female)

AmbivalentKay HB UserAmbivalentKay HB User

Congratulations, and I agree, anxiety needs to be fought with all the tools you can muster, and there a lot of them, from counseling and meds to yoga, exercise, getting outside of yourself to help others, etc. etc. Anxiety demands we fight back. You can expect some heightened anxiety with your new little one. Suddenly his/her well-being becomes the biggest thing in your life, and parents (happened to my sister) can feel paralyzing inadequacy. Just keep talking to other parents and know your anxieties are exaggerated. Well-done and thanks!

Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #8
(male)

bobmidwest HB User

My anxiety really kicked into high gear in high school too. I also began self medicating with alcohol. Psychiatrist told me this is common.

I have been through individual therapy and am in group therapy now. I have enjoyed the healing and personal growth I have experienced over the years. It is good to see someone who has grown and healed too.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #9
(female)

AmbivalentKay HB UserAmbivalentKay HB User

Steckmas, your sentence "Just picture getting incredibly scared and not knowing how or why and not being able to do anyting about it, and once it passed being in constant and increasing fear that it would happen again at the wrong time" --well, that's probably the most succinct and accurate description of the anxiety I've experienced for years, and probably sums up the experience of others too. For me it can be a mounting fear, sometimes accompanied by that "zappy" feeling almost like electric shocks, and then the dread of it happening again. I've learned some tools through therapy that help, and medication has been a life-saver. Continued success with your recovery and thanks for your very helpful story.

Closed Thread