It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Share Your Anxiety Story Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
(male)

ChewbaccainAZ HB User
My story and continued fight with Anxiety

This forum has helped me a lot for the past couple of years. It's a relief for me knowing that there are others out there struggling with anxiety. Unless you have issues with anxiety itís hard for others (family, spouse, friends, co-workers etc.) to understand what we go through and deal with every day. Here is my story.

I am 29 years old, married with 3 step children. I have worked full time since I was 15 years old. I come from a divorced family with both parents having mental disorders. Earliest I can remember having a panic attack was when I was about 8 years old. I remember I was worrying about my grandma getting sick. I had lost my grandpa to cancer when I was 5. I remember always having a "nervous" tummy. As far back as I can remember I have had stomach issues. I can remember not wanting to go on long trips because I was afraid I would not make it to the bathroom. I remember asking my parents where we were going and how far was it as I was afraid of not being able to use the bahroom. When I was younger I could tell you where the bathroom was in almost every store.

I have never liked change. I start having anxiety and panic attacks when something in my life changes. I love a routine and get very uncomfortable with the unknown. I try to live in a comfort zone.

After my first (what I call anxiety episodes) when I was 8 I didn't have them very much until I was about 13. After turning 13 I started to have more and more anxiety episodes lasting 3-4 days at a time. I would worry constantly and would be nervous. I remember I would count words and letters of words as I heard them. Whether they would be spoken in person or on the radio, movie etc. This seemed to always comfort my ever racing mind.

Flash forward about 6 years and I am out of High School and on my own. The counting of words and letters subsided to just being fidgety. I do find myself still counting on my fingers with my thumbs when I get anxious. Anyways I am 19 and in my first apartment and on my own. I had a live in girlfriend at the time that didn't work so that contributed to a lot of stress and anxiety. When I was 19 I had one of the worst anxiety episodes of my life. I didn't sleep for almost 3 days as my mind had racing intrusive thoughts. I couldn't sleep and I couldn't keep focused at work. i would worry about everything. My health, finances, relationship. The more my mind went into the anxiety frenzy the more weird thoughts I would have. Once I would start to feel better something else would trigger my thoughts and I would start the process all over again. I remember it took about a week to get out the anxiety funk. 3 years later my girlfriend and I broke up and it triggered another anxiety episode. Major events seem to trigger my anxiety episodes. At the advice of my at the time girlfriend now wife I finally went to a doctor at 24. After the evaluation she diagnosed me with GAD and depression. I was prescribed Cymbalta. It took about 3 weeks for the Cymbalta to help but I remember one day at work I all of a sudden got a warm comforting feeling. I wasn't anxious or nervous at all. It was such a liberating feeling that I had not felt in years. I continued on with Cymbalta for about a year. I didn't have any anxiety episodes, my stomach didn't hurt, I woke up in a happy mood. During that time I had developed insomnia. I think this was one of the side effects for me while being on Cymbalta. I would literally lie awake and stare at the ceiling for hours until I would finally drift off to sleep. At the time I was not comfortable with taking sleeping pills so I just toughed it out.

After about 2 years on Cymbalta I had felt that I had enough control on my anxiety and slowly quit taking the medication. After weaning myself off of Cymbalta the insomnia slowly started to go away but the anxiety came back. I didn't have any anxiety episodes until my dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer. I went into a deep depression and anxiety episode for almost a month. I didn't sleep, I didn't eat I was a zombie. My anxiety controlled me for almost 2 years.

My father lost his battle with cancer on 11/28/2011. 18 months after he was diagnosed. This was a very hard time for me as my dad was not only my dad but one of my best friends. My wife's work offered 5 sessions with a grief counselor. After my first session we determined my main focus was not really about grief but dealing with my anxiety. I thought I was doing better with the counseling but I wasn't. I wasn't controlling it at all. I struggled with the anxiety controlling my life until August of 2012. I had an ah ha moment and realized I needed to get help. I went to the doctor and was put on 10mg of Lexapro and 10mg of Ambien to help me sleep. I also started seeing a counselor on a regular basis.

I had a horrible time taking Lexapro. The early reactions I had were very bad. My anxiety increased I had trouble focusing and didnít feel any better. I tried taking it for more than 2 weeks and the side effects didnít subside. I ended up taking half a dose every other day which seemed to help. I still struggled with anxiety off and on but with the help of my counselor I started doing better. I had one really good month and my anxiety took over again. Less than a week ago I went back to the doctor and he increased the Lexapro to 20mg daily. This is still way too much for me so I am taking half a dose a day and plan on taking the full dose next week but only taking half a dose when I get up and half a dose when I go to bed. I am still having issues with the initial side effects but I was able to get some sleep last night.

To summarize I have been dealing with anxiety for a very long time now and I am working up the courage to beat this disorder. I want to live life and not worry all the time. I think if I can get the anxiety controlled through medication and counseling I will be able to beat it. Thanks for reading this and know that you are not alone in your fight against anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread