It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Share Your Depression Story Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
(female)

Elf_Ears HB User
My story

I'm 40. I've been married for 22 years, and dh and I have 5 kids. I'm a homemaker, though I have worked part-time a few times over the years.

My depression problems began about Fall 2002, 6 months after the birth of our last child. I learned that my father (who had left my mom when I was 12), was planning to move across the country, so that he and my step-mom could be close to my half-sisters as they started college there. This news seems to be the trigger that sent me spiraling down into the nightmare that is depression.

It started with rumination: ( Then came the mood swings. Insomnia became my new "friend." I found myself crying at commercials. Then, just thoughts and occurences would have me crying. I noticed that, alone in my car (with only the baby), I would have angry emotional discussions with people that weren't there. One time, during a particularly angry moment, while stuck at a light, I found myself waving my arms and crying, and suddenly realized that other drivers could see me...

I did my best to hide my problems from the kids. And, to my credit, I did this fairly well. Still, I soon needed drugs to help me function. And then, I needed more drugs, a cocktail of Lexapro and lithium.

I wouldn't take the drugs the way my pdoc wanted me to. I never took the full dose of the one. I tried going off each of the drugs, to do just one alone. I even tried going off both for a couple months. That was a disaster.

I was doing OK on just Lexapro, until this summer. In July, I began to struggle. I wasn't ruminating so much now (my main symptom in the past). Now I found that I felt cloudy-headed and sluggish, heavy, as if someone had slipped lead weights into my clothing. Every movement was harder. I couldn't concentrate. I felt aggitated, restless. I was barely able to make decisions. My short-term memory was really bad. I wanted to relax, but I couldn't. I tried watching movies, and couldn't take them in. Reading was totally out, as I had to re-read each paragraph so many times, I just gave up. All my self-soothing activities did nothing for me. I stopped being a "morning person." It was like my brain was marinating in watery oatmeal.

I called my pdoc and he called in 600mg lithium to be taken in two doses each day. After just a few days, I felt better. By the two week mark, I was MUCH better. Now, about a month later, I'm finally myself again. Really - like the person I was 5 years ago, before it all began. I'm so thankful!

I'm a Bible-believing Christian, and I know God works all things together for good for those who love Him. I don't know why God allowed this, but there have been some benefits. I'm more thoughtful now. I'm less impulsive. And of course, I have more compassion for others who struggle with mental illness. So, I'm just believing that my Daddy in heaven knows what's best for this kid. And I rely totally on Him. And I thank Him for the earthly substances He made, that scientists can use to help me through this.

Elf_ears

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
(male)

mike54 HB User
Unhappy Re: My story

It's good that you found something that helped. My wife thought that me going to a doctor was a waste of money, even for physical health. Now I have two heart attacks, one divorce, and open heart surgery, behind me now.
It's all left emotional scars that I am having trouble dealing with. I feel God has forsaken me just like my wife and kids. I am alone with my misory. I take 20mg lexapro. I take a ton of physcal health medications, also. It's nice that you were able to get help before your life was destroyed, like mine.

Closed Thread