It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Share Your Depression Story Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
(female)

1wholuvsbooks HB User
Smile How I learned about my Depression

When I began to get my (time of the month) I never new there would be mental issues to deal with as well as physical.Soon after at each months time I noticed a over all sadness that would last for awhile and go away.Then as time went on I would experience sadness and loss of interest in everyday things.The depression was so bad I felt all alone, my mom tried to help we talked she was very supportive and offered some of her stories.My mom was a single parent.My sister was a out of wedlock child,which in those day was very frowned upon, we were not apart of the normal family society makeup.Some people felt sorry for us and some scorned us.Talked behind our back,constantly reminding us of our loser perdictament.My mom went to conceling herself for awhile but she needed to support us so she worked as much as she could and excepted welfare.People gave us bags of clothes and every Thanksgiving some Churches would help us out.My uncle even offered to adopt my sister.I think I was in a daze on some days and others I just soldiered thru.

The three of us loved each other and we came to except are situation pretty well.Also my mom never married but had boyfriends who were already married and supported us on occasion.So that was my life.I started noticing month that the depression stayed with me,3 at a time and then fine for awhile.Going forward when I was married with to little kids things were fine until about the 11th year and I became very depressed I couldn't stop sleeping and my motivation was zero.I cried alot and also was drinking alot also.What I now believe was self-medicating.My husband was at the end of his rope and felt helpless he became friends with a lady from work who he felt comfortable to talk with about his problems.

Well we worked things out and after long talks and arguments I went to see a phycologist and recieved consuling and meds.Things looked alot brighter after that, I was able to talk about my life and cried alot made ammends with the past as best as I could.Then after 10 years I sought conseling again and talk therapy helped alot as well as advice from the doc and following thru.I'm still dealing with it and relize it is a day to day,month thru month,year to year process. I've been on meds for 10 years and handle most things and problems that come up. I've been married 30yrs, my husband is great.Nothing or no one is totally perfect.Depression,angiety,old ghost from the past continue to take me down but I have learned to fight it and always remember how fortunate I am.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread