It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Share Your Depression Story Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
(female)

BlueLagoon HB User
I watch myself being depressed

I've been conscious of being depressed since I was 11.

I am 46 now, and there have been periods when I've been happy and full of energy and accomplishments. I know I'm supposed to take full responsibility for my mental health and all the things that have happened to me, but I have this theory: maybe everyone is born with a full tank of resilience and little by little, it gets used up. For some people, so much bad stuff happens that it gets used up by the mid-point in their life. I fear I might be one of those people. I do yoga, meditate, pray, read uplifting books, exercise, walk in nature, etc., but I don't seem to ever refill.

I've been directly affected by three natural disasters; my emotionally abusive husband cheated on me many times; our son died in a car accident when he was still in preschool; my husband was driving and I was critically injured (in the end they didn't amputate and I learned how to normally walk again); I divorced him three years later; now my sixth business, which I've had more than 19 years, is failing, in part because it's in a failing industry and in part because I have become so burned out; I am lousy at relationships; I binge eat sometimes so I'm 17 lbs overweight, which in my town means it may as well be 100 lbs; and this latest bout (4 days and counting) of severe depression - like "I can't get out of bed today" - was triggered when I ended a new, exciting, wonderful business partnership because my new partner called me the names one too many times in less than a month of working together.

<inappropriate>

Meanwhile, my plummeting business has sent me into the worst financial situation of my adult life; I am facing bankruptcy, which is such a cop out; my beloved brother just filed for divorce last Tuesday; my other brother, married to a girl I don't like, just announced she's pregnant. This will be my first niece or nephew, but she's miscarried 8 other babies, so I am steeling myself for disappointment.

On top of that, last year I fell in love for the fourth time in my whole life. I mean really crazy, happy, in love. Sometimes, he was odd. He'd disappear for weeks at a time with no contact. He's not married and not with someone else, just said he needs a lot of "alone time" to think. Five months later, I couldn't take his disappearances any more and we ended it for the last time.

Disallowed subject>

But yesterday, I realized that he really WAS married or something, to a woman who travels or whatever, because he told me that the women's toiletries in the bathroom had been left there by his landlord's girlfriend and he was only house-sitting. I see now he must have been lying all along, about many things.

I realized that I a) attracted another abusive man into my life - my recently departed business partner and b) my cherished ex-boyfriend lied to me and I am still naive enough to believe what men say.

I sure feel burned out by life. My resilience tank is empty. Because I'm self-absorbed and narcissistic when depressed, I laid in bed and read a book all day, eating a bunch of easter chocolate I shouldn't have even bought, much less consumed in three hours. I feel like I just can't whip myself into getting back on the horse one last time. What's the worst that could happen if I just laid in bed for the rest of my life crying? My pillow would get moldy.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueLagoon For This Useful Post:
Sail Close (08-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread