It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Share Your Depression Story Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
(female)

iluvpurple1 HB User
Slipping again

Throughout my whole life, I have had issues with anxiety. I've always wanted to be the best, to be on top, and I always wanted to be well liked. I wanted to prove myself as a person. I think my stress really came on when I got more and more insistent that everything I do, I do perfectly, and that everything goes the way I'd like it to. During middle school, I had to deal with people that were friends sometimes, and my own worst enemies at other times. I never knew when I could believe them, and, as a result, I have terrible trust issues. Because of these trust issues, I have difficulty making friends, which has definitely contributed to my issues with depression. My depression hit its peak during high school, during my junior year. All I ever did was spend time on the computer, mostly chatting on message boards. For me, it was away of talking to people, because I was too nervous to talk with anyone in real life. It finally came to the point where I was tired of everything. I was tired of struggling in classes. I was tired of watching others excel and my life go down the drain. I was tired of being alone, of being unwanted. I was tired of not being a normal teenager, of not doing the things most teenagers do such as going to dances, spending time at friends' houses, being invited to parties, and such. During high school, I had no outstanding talents that made people notice me. Although I was an active member of the orchestra, I did not have exceptional skills. I also did not have any affiliation with sports whatsoever, because I've never been athletic. I felt like an outsider in my classes; I felt uncomfortable around the immature people in the regular classes and equally uncomfortable around the people that seemed to be more intelligent than I in the honors/AP courses. I didn't make much of an attempt to get to know them, because I believed that they didn't consider me to be intelligent and that they didn't think I would make a good partner for groups. Basing my grades to theirs, I felt that this opinion was valid. While they were thriving, and getting A's, in some classes, it was all I could do to maintain a B. Not having any talent, having average intelligence, and not having an outgoing personality really affected my high school experience. Eventually, it got so bad I had to be admitted as an inpatient several times. I didn't really talk to anyone after I left, because I didn't want to discuss where I'd been. If people thought I was odd beforehand, imagine what they would have said had they known where I'd been.
Although I was not the best student of all time, I did manage to get into several colleges, and chose to attend one in the fall. By the time I got there, I felt very insecure around the other girls. I did not have as high of a scholarship as they did, I was not invited to be a part of the honors program like they were, and I felt uncomfortable when they talked about things like prom(as I had not gone). Time went on and I auditioned to be a member of an orchestra. I felt so badly about myself when I found out I was the only one on my floor that wasn't selected for the traveling orchestra. The fact that I wasn't going to be able to travel really got to me. Not to mention that I had to deal with the fact that I wasn't selected for a music scholarship like they were. As far as classes go, I started out poorly in all of them. I was having difficulty with biology lecture exams, having achieved only 1 or 2 points out of 4 on them. The amount of stress that came from having a test everyday in biology lab really got to me. Then, of course, there was Spanish. When I had taken the pre-entrance test, I was borderline between two levels. Because I wanted to make myself feel better and to prove myself as a person, I signed up for the higher level class, knowing that, after a year of taking a break from the language, I would most likely struggle. I was just hoping that the anticipated struggle would not come and that I would feel comfortable in the class. I was very wrong about that. The whole class stressed me out a lot and I just felt that I could not handle it. In fact, I really felt that I couldn't handle being there, at all. So, one weekend when I came home, I decided that I would not go back there. During that time, I took one class at the local college, and was forced to attend a depression/anxiety support group(after having yet another experience as an inpatient). Slowly, I worked my way up and I finally was accepted in the nursing program. It was not easy, because there were many times all I got were B's on tests, and sometimes even worse, and I just couldn't deal with that. Somehow, I made it through though, and somehow I completed my first semester of nursing classes. In order to get into the nursing program, I had to take a CNA course and pass the state exam. When I didn't fully pass the CNA state exam the first time, I became depressed and became very avoidant to the situation. Whenever I was asked when I wanted to retest, I always came up with an excuse for why I could not or would not. Eventually, I had to face it again, and the second time, I did pass. That was one of the few good things that happened that summer. I had applied for many jobs, and had not gotten anything. This made me feel worse about myself. This summer, I have had several interviews and several rejections (I had a major breakdown after each of them). Finally I've been accepted at a certain place, but it worries and depresses me that I may not perform up to their standards. Although I really want to be a nurse, sometimes I wonder if I'm the right person for it. I know that other people think the same thing. I've already had to be relocated to a different facility because they feel that those types of residents would be better for me to work with as a new employee. However, I'm pretty sure that the two other people that were in orientation with me didn't have to deal with this. One of them, a girl, came up and asked when she thought we'd begin to work. Obviously, she wasn't told that she needed to come back for more orientation. I remember her telling the other person, a guy, that she would get a schedule set up for him, and that he had passed the test out. When I found out that there was one skill I had not tested out on, my heart broke. Deep down, I knew that was going to happen, but just to hear it in words made me feel bad. It didn't matter that they said after more practice, I would do a good job, or that I'd improved over time. All I was able to focus on was the fact that I was not going to start training as fast as these other people were. These past few days, I've just been feeling really down. I worry about what's going to happen. Sometimes I wish I would be diagnosed with a terminal illness, because sometimes I don't know how much more I can take. I'm trying to not allow myself to become depressed, but I seem to be slipping, and with things going the way they are, it's no wonder.

The following user gives a hug of support to iluvpurple1:
Phoenix (07-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread