It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Share Your Infertility Story Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

jaycee05 HB User
Happy story from the past

I'm quite new here, and I see that there is a lot of useful information available. The anxiety and unhappiness of infertility affects a lot of people, and I thought that sharing my experience could help to encourage others and bring some hope for the future.

Married at 26, I attended many baby showers as most of my friends were already married and starting their families. One year later, my husband and I decided I would go off the B.C. and we would have a baby too; nothing to it, right?! Well, by the time three years had passed, my friends had more babies, I still had none, and I was getting pretty anxious about the situation. We went through tests (all normal), temperature-taking and Clomid to see what would happen. The result: nothing.

My husband and I finally had a long talk and decided to apply for adoption through the local Children's Aid Society (this was before the days of IVF). We knew there were no guarantees that a baby would ever become available, and there was no such thing as getting to the top of the waiting list: the best home available would be chosen for each child. We filled out many forms, went through a home visit and interviews by our social worker, applied for references from several sources, then when we were finally approved we carried on with life and waited...we had told no-one about our application. Well, only TWO MONTHS LATER, our case worker asked us to visit the office, then she said she had some "good news" for us, who was wearing pink bootees! This little baby was 4 weeks old, and would be ours whenever we were ready to receive her! So, after a 2-week flurry of activity to create a nursery and buy what was needed, as well as giving some notice at work, we picked up our beautiful 6-week old daughter. The biological mother had six months to change her mind (that was a nervous time for us!) before the adoption became final, but fortunately she didn't.

Fast forward to our daughter's second birthday...two days before that, I had given birth to our son! I suppose I had stopped worrying about my fertility and maybe that had something to do with it. Seventeen months after that, I delivered a baby girl. Both were by C.S., then my doctor tied my tubes at the same time because we felt that our family was complete. As the children grew, our first daughter knew from a very early age that she was adopted, and was proud of the fact because she felt "special" ! She and our other daughter have always been very good friends, and if anyone felt a bit left out it was our son because he wanted a brother. All three looked quite similar when they were younger, with their summer sun-bleached hair and blue eyes. Now, years later, we have three wonderful little grandchildren so far(more blue eyes!), and we feel blessed.

So if you are going through some anxious times, don't give up hope. There are even more options available now than what we were offered, and more research being done, to help potential parents reach their goals.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread