It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Share Your Pain Management Story Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
(female)

dancersmom424 HB User
Unhappy A not so typical break.

I am a 28yr old single mother of a 8yr old dancing diva. I not only have a pain issue, but have also been dx with major depression and PCOS.
My pain story starts on Halloween night at about 7. We had finished Trunk-or-Treating and were getting ready to go home. I was going to bring my two middle nieces home to spend the night so we were at their house getting the needed things. I was finishing getting my 2yr old niece ready to leave and was going down the stairs. I thought I was on the bottom stair and wasn't. Needless to say my right ankle rolled under and I heard a "pop" and down we went. When my sister came running up to the landing, I was still holding my niece (she came away unscathed). My mom came to take me to the ER where the avulsion fracture was discovered, I left the ER with a backslab splint and instructions to go see the orthopedic surgeon (OS). At the OS I was put in a camwalker (aka the boot or DARTH) and was non-weight bearing (NWB). I have gone to the ortho every week and last week was told to start walking, and was given a cortisone shot. I have been able to walk about 10 steps before the pain starts and then I have pain for the rest of the day. I went to the OS today and he was not impressed that I was still using crutches. My x-rays look great, and the fracture is healing good. He told me that people who have broken their ankles in car accidents are farther along than I am at 4 weeks, pain wise. He said that there is something else going on, possibly nerve/soft tissue damage. No kidding, I've been trying to tell him that since my first visit. Not once has anyone said anything about the grade 3 sprain I suffered that caused the break. So off to the pain management dr I go next week.
I have been off work since The Fall, as I like to call it, and cannot go back until I have a full medical clearance. According to my OS, that will be when we figure out what the underlying cause of the pain is and when it is under control. Oh yeah, I don't have insurance, and don't qualify for any state insurance either. My OS bills are high enough, I'm scared to see what the PM bills are going to be like.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread