HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Share Your Pregnancy Story (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/share-your-pregnancy-story/)
-   -   My TMJ & Pregnancy Story... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/share-your-pregnancy-story/639107-my-tmj-pregnancy-story.html)

papergoods 10-04-2008 12:04 AM

My TMJ & Pregnancy Story...

My TMJ & Pregnancy Story...
I wanted to share this with any of you who have disabling TMJ as I do. Because the disease has robbed me of a lot of lifes pleasures (not that Im complaining I still walk and see and dance) but for the longest time I could not even have a relationship. It was too awkward, trying to kiss, trying to eat out, the bed room full of pills and TMJ medical devices (tens units therabites)...and PILLS everywhere. My TMJ disks were displaced in 2002 from being intubated for a 4 hour spine surgery. Before that I ate and talked, smiled all so carefree i admit like 99% of people I took it for granted. Back to my point...after suffering with TMJ - which lead to inner ear disease for me for 2 years.

I gave up on the idea of ever having children. at this point I was nearing 30. I knew I could never get married because I would never ask someone I loved to make the kind of sacrifices I had to make in everyday living, or have them look the other way while I was in pain. Then last year on Valentines day a miracle happened. I got pregnant. My first thought was 'Im not healthy enough to carry this baby for 9 months" I wouldnt be able to get the TMJ shots, take the pills...all the things we do just trying to keep our poor mouths comfortable.

I thought I wouldnt be able to eat a balanced enough diet to give the baby nutrition (since we can't chew many many things!) My doctor told me with enough love I would find a way. Im a month away from delivery. And he was right. There were mornings in the beginning that I would scream in pain on the bathroom floor after throwing up because the thrusting opening of my jaw made the joints burn like they were on fire. There were days I laid in bed on heating pads or ice packs ALL DAY and cried from the pain. I wanted a shot or a vicodin a soma....the Tyenol they say you can use is like tic tacs to a person with the pain in your face so bad it hurts to smile. You hope the person at the grocery store isn't nice to you so you don't have to smile back...so not like me!

Anyways Im almost done. I messed up a few times and taken some prescribed medications with the blessing of my doctor. He knows my history with pain and dizziness. I pray every night nothing happens to my baby from my meds, I feel so guilty. But my doctor was right if you have a goal in sight and family and friends who support you and help bring you those ice packs in the night you can have a baby.

And guess what...I had an ultrasound the other day. I saw my baby yawn!! She yawned so perfectly her little jaw worked just fine. It made me cry Its almost like Im getting a second change to appreciate the little things like yawning with out clicking, smiling and laughing and chewing without pain. My biggest wish is that my daughter never has TMJ. But women with TMJ...you can have a baby!