It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
(male)

Nx_Mr HB User
Shingles (Herpes Zoster) Question

I recently had an outbreak of shingles (Herpes Zoster), I guess it could be considered mild? (very small cluster, somewhat itchy, somewhat painful)
The thing is i'm pretty young (18) and i know this barely happens in people who arent old so I'm kinda freaked out. I was on a number of medications previous to the breakout which included:
- Amoxicillin (3 pills of 400mg a day for a week)
- Mucinex D (Which I was taking for sinuses, 2 pills a day)
- Synthroid (For my Hypothyroidism)
- Sudafed (I would take 2 pills before I went to bed)

Now I know what your thinking, that I shouldnt have been taking all this medicine at the same time, and obviously I'm never going to do it again. What made it worse is that yes, I did drink while I was on these medicines. Anyway, I was just wondering if that may have had anything to do with the outbreak of shingles? Ive also been under a lot of stress the past 2 months.

I had an HIV test done today so i'm really nervous about everything, ive looked up stuff about it on the internet, but people told me not to do that as all different websites said many different things. I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experiances or any specific knowledge of the topic. It would help a lot especially in calming myself down. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User
Re: Shingles (Herpes Zoster) Question

Are you positive it's Shingles? You can get simplex on your body too. I have a rash on my wrist right now, had it between my fingers and also had it on the side of my buttocks. I don't see why those medications would have made you have an OB of shingles? I know lots of people that take more than that!!!!!! A LOT MORE!!!! Especially the elderly! Since you have gotten an HIV test, I can only assume you are sexually active so be sure and be test for other STDs too especially for HSV! And dont assume you'll be tested if you ask to be tested for stds, you need to tell them to test you for herpes too. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
(male)

Nx_Mr HB User

Yeah im pretty sure its shingles, the doctor as soon as she saw it said it was shingles, she sent it to the lab and i she called me and said it was. So im pretty sure its shingles. Although I see a lot of people complaining about pain with shingles, it really doesnt hurt for me, though it is itchy...is this considered "mild"?

My main question is, is this not a good sign that im 18 and I got shingles? ... I mean the past 2 months i have been under a pretty large amount of stress, and im not really used to that because i dont stress out usually. Anyway, it really is making me nervous and any responses would be great. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Anyone can get shingles...especially people who have never had chicken pox or had a mild case of them. Also, while you have shingles, you should not be around anyone who has not had chicken pox, as they can catch the shingles. Have you ever had chicken pox?? Most of the time, the shingles will affect only one side of the body....

Old 04-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I was diagnosed with the same thing today. I was told that the chicken pox virus stays in your body for life and that it can break out at any time in the form of zoster. It never leaves your body, so those who have had chicken pox can always get this.

Mine, according to the doctors, was caused by stress.

We had stayed in a motel while out of town and six days later I had blisters. I thought, honestly, that it was bed bug bites. But, the GYN took one look and said, Zoster because it was only on one side and in a small cluster.

I have never had anything like this before so you can imagine the conversation that I had with my partner before I read that it was from my own body and stress and not from cheating.

Anyone have any idea what the difference is between herpes and Zoster??? I can't seem to find a distinction anywhere.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:19 AM   #6
(female)

casper35 HB User

My grandfather has shingles. He got it when he was in his 70s though. They told us that it is chicken pox that lies dormant in your body. He had his on his head.

Moonlight, did your gyn do a test for herpes? Cuz my ob only comes on one side of my body. It is one cluster about the size of a half dollar on my buttock. That is it. I was diagnosed with herpes though, when they tested me.

I heard that most people get herpes zoster on there head or middle body, around stomach area.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I have a script order for a blood test to take to a lab. I think that I am going to have the blood test but must first ask my insurance about the cost. They will test for both.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Herpes and zoster come from same virus. there isn't much difference exept herpes is a STD and zoster isn't. Zoster effects those who have not had chicken pox if what I was told....so now I'm not sure.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

This is what the doc told me,

Chicken pox virus hangs out in your body and it can come back as Zoster if you are really stressed. It can hang out for years. Herpes, same deal, can hang out forever, never show up, but you can pass it on, get it and not know it. Seems pretty sketchy to me. But, he said that you had to have or have had chicken pox to have Zoster.

I have not slept around nor has my husband, but I turned up with what one doc says is Zoster and one says is Herpes, so I am getting tested. I am not sure what the benefit is of the test except with Zoster, I guess that you can't spread it and with herpes you can

Old 04-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
(female)

MRSMACLEOD HB User

Dont worry about having a bout of shingles at 18, you have done nothing wrong and will probably find that the medication you were taking at the time had nothing to do with it. I had my first bought of shingles at 16, really laid me low, was really unwell tired and flu like feeling for about a fortnight, it can happen at a young age. It occurred again in 2004 and I have had recurrent shingles ever since, I can go for three months at max without a 'mild' attack exactly described symptoms as yourself. I have had every test under the sun including HIV, nothing wrong in any test, my Dr says it is just unlucky that it is recurrent. Therefore, please dont be scared witless if your shingles returns at some point. You mentioned stress, this definitely DOES NOT HELP. I hope your cause of stress has diminished for you now and you are feeling somewhat at ease. From what you described, you had a mild case of shingles, should you find you have a reoccurrence, I find the following medication helpful - FAMVIR oral antiviral, very good for general symptoms, ACICLOVIR cream for the spots, all can be prescribed by your Dr. GOOD LUCK and I hope you dont have another episode.

If anyone else is reading this that suffers from RECURRENT SHINGLES, do you find there is any rhyme or reason for the outbreaks, I cannot pin it down to a single trigger point (exc. high level stress)?

Thanks
Mrs M

Old 04-21-2006, 03:18 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

mayam HB User

Hello MrsMcleod
Do your shingle outbreaks always occur in the same place? I have had a few shingle like eruptions but the GP said it could not reoccur more than twice.

Old 04-30-2006, 03:32 PM   #12
(female)

bsl10s HB User

I have a small patch of shingles on my right shoulder blade that comes back from time to time. I have noticed that it happens after I'm been on prednisone or some type of cortisone. I've heard that these lower your immune system which may be why I get it then. Mine is a small area about the size of a half dollar that begins as an itching sensation and turns into a red, itchy blister. Thank goodness I don't have the extreme pain everyone talks about with shingles. I still wonder why I get it so often. 8-10 times now the past 6 years. Anyone out there with the similar experience?

Last edited by bsl10s; 04-30-2006 at 03:35 PM.

Old 04-30-2006, 04:57 PM   #13
(female)

4everscared HB User

I had shingles or so doc said was shingles years ago .was in my thirties . I had it only on my knee . still have scar there where it was . that was only place had it . just small cluster and it did not hurt that I can remember , but at time had it the doc said I would never have shigles again . that could only have it once . who knows if that is really true . I know my mom had it few years ago but she was older .. she said she had it all across her waist line .I also would like to know the difference between zoster and regular herpes .?

Old 04-30-2006, 11:39 PM   #14
(male)

matt34 HB User

I recently had shingles and took sum meds for it. The rash was almost gone but sometimes during the day I will have SHARP pains in my chest area, I'm wondering when the pain will;can go away? Should I go back to my doctor and have him perscribe some medication for the pain or is it normal? I've read that it may last from months to years but not 100% sure. I'm 19 btw, I thought I was the only one to get it so young. Just wanted to hear what you guys/gals would suggest.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #15
(female)

Shimz HB User

27 F I have had shingles twice June 05, June 06 2nd round has made all other areas not related to the rash to have crazy sensations now my feet hurt hands legs. But my shingles both times were on my back. The 2nd time there wasn't a rash. I am waiting to find ot what it is. Anyone experiencing these same symptoms? All my blood work is clear and my immune system shows healthy.

Closed Thread