It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
(female)

cake444 HB User
Children can get shingles from Varicella Vaccine....

My son is 7 and currently has the shingles, he has NEVER had the chicken pox and has not been around anyone with shingles. He has however had the chicken pox vaccine about 2 years ago. There are not to many answers out there and I don't know about other parents but I was not made aware that this was a possible side affect. If anyone else shares something similar will you please respond.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2006, 07:45 PM   #2

Doobeedoobeedoo HB User
Re: Children can get shingles from Varicella Vaccine....

How is he now!!!
Shingles used to be a disease of 'old' people. Now we see it in children Thanks to the vaccine.
Give lots of sodium ascorbate and cod liver oil...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
(female)

cake444 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Children can get shingles from Varicella Vaccine....

Thanks you so much for replying, I somehow feel all alone in this situation. He is doing very well despite the rather large scar that he now has where the shingles were. Its a scarey thing, nobody knows if they are going to be reaccuring or if it was an isolated inccident. They don't know do to the fact that the vaccine is so new. Everthing that I had ever heard about shingles prior to my son getting them was that they were ADULT chickenpox. I just wonder if the POSSIBLE benefits of some vaccines outweigh the unknown risks. There are no statistics on the Varicella vaccine as of yet, at least not that I could find & trust me Iv'e been all over the internet. I was never told of any possible side effects when I had him vaccinated other than an allergic reaction. I just think that we all lived through the chicken pox & yes it was not pleasant & can cause death but now were messing with mother nature & who knows 20 years down the road what is going to be the outcome. Probably at that time they will have to invent a vaccine for all of the children who are getting Herpes Zoster (shingles). My son had a adding factor into his whole ordeal that probably has never occurred before.

3 days after the shingles broke out, my son was playing with the neighbor kid & the boy smacked my son in the head with a golfclub. I took him to the doctor & the wound which was all the way to the skull was 1mm away from the shingle outbreak so the virus was now in the wound. The doctors had no idea what would happen if it did get in the wound or how they would treat it. So I was angry that I now had something else to worry about. He was taking some kind of pill or another every 1/2 hour until we were sure he was out of the woods. It was a nightmare & a very scarey ordeal & needless to say, I cried ALOT.

Thanks, it's just nice to know that someone out there took the time to say something. I really appreciate it.

Closed Thread