It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Shingles Info for Shimz

I did some digging in my journals about shingles since i know very little about this disease and i know Shimz is at her ''wit ends'' with this so here's what i uncovered. Shingles is part of the Herpes Virus family (hsv1,hsv2,varicella-zoster).Its the this last one Varicella-Zoster that causes Shingles which is very common in most people. Also Hiv positive people are 9 times more likely to get this disease (not saying you are positive...). Once these Shingle's outbreaks occure in certain people then its likely you'll have this on and off the rest of your life and medical science does not know why yet.

There are some natural treatments that may help shimz so i'll tell you these and you can talk to your DR about these if you wish and take what ever action you feel. High Vitamin-C is reportedly good do to it raises Interferon levels in the body which is a powerful Virus fighter(3,000 to 4,000 mg a day). Also Zinc (30mg) and Selenium (200mcg) are Virus fighters. Also L-Lysine (amino acid) is very good for deactivating the Herpes Virus by interfering with its reproduction 1,000 to 3,000 mg's a day (take on an empty stomach). And lastly Tagamet (over the counter) 800 mg's at bedtime helps by reving up the T-cells that go after this virus...so i hope these help give you some weapons to put this disease in remission. Best Wishes .....

Old 07-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: Shingles Info for Shimz

Here's a little more information on shingles, it is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. If you've had chickenpox then there is a good chance that you will have a shingles outbreak as you get older. It is a virus that remains dormant in the basal ganglia and reactivates when immunity is low.
Oral vitamin c can prevent occurences .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

don'tlikecold HB User
Re: Shingles Info for Shimz

Shimz, perhaps if you can find ways to boost your immune system and keep your stress levels low, you can lower your chances of getting another outbreak. The pain involved is dreadful and I can understand why you are anxious. But worrying about another outbreak may lead to actually getting one. Make sure you tell your doctor in case you need a medication to help control that.

Let us know how you are doing.

Susan

Old 07-06-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
(female)

Shimz HB User
Re: Shingles Info for Shimz

Thanks so much 6foot3
Let me tell you a bit more.

June 05 got shingles June 06 got them again weird same month. Well in 05 I had the rash the pain was only in the rash. PHN = pain in or near the area of the rash. 06 I got it again in the same exact place on my back PHN but ALSO*** 3 days later my hands legs arms feet etc had some severe twitching the twitching was inside not visible it ached and felt like electric shocks. It slowed down but i still feel it randomly all over differenent areas diff times. my hands hurt typing to.

Now see that twitch was something completely different not related to PHN although i think i the shingles triggered it The neuro said it was something else not part of shingles and he said he thought it was anxiety. Well its not 30 of this and the minute i wake up i start to feel it? I think it is PN or MS only my opinon as I have not been diagnosed with this. One last thing all my blood work is clear I dont have any other things HIV or any orthings. Mine just decided to come back over and over.

Lastly i felt tingling sensations in my arm 3 years ago and continued until i had shingles so it was a sign to me all along a sign that i did mention to the docs the stupid GP's you know how they are.

im on lyrica 75mg twice a day i dont feel a difference yet not sure im on day 9 now so maybe 2 weeks later it might work or maybe i need more meds.
In any case i hate meds and i dont want to increase it.

Last how do i help my hands they ache my job requires me to be online all the time with mouse in my hand how do i get the pain to subside or something ? I must work Ihave no choice.

6foot3 what book or journals do you have that have helped you control your pain. Also what meds do you take what are your conditions.

Closed Thread