It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
(female)

obred2 HB User
shingles and in pain

anyone out there that has had shingles on there face. i was sooooo sick and blind and sooooooooooo sick, but now the after affects are almost as bad. the pain i am having is so intense. its sort of like itching but not it feels like i could scratch off my forehead yet i am not able to touch it when it is not being affected by the itch, electric shocks, the whatever it is. i am not able to control myself when it occurs and have not spoken to anyone who has expericed this sort of problem. i am on lycric for it and i have seen really not diffeence except maybe not as many outbreaks but more intense outbreaks. i have caused my whole forehead to bleed and then scab up and only to almost scratche it off again. help

Old 08-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
(female)

Sun Flower HB User
Re: shingles and in pain

Hi Obred2, really sorry to hear what you are going through. I myself have never had shingles, but I do have a relative that did and I know just how terrible it is. My relative would take pain killers 3 times a day and still would not get complete relief. You should ask you doctor about the Lidocain skin patch. I only know that the skin patch acts as a local anesthetic that helps to relieve the pain, but your doctor is the only one who can tell you if it is convenient for you. Sorry that I can't help more and hope you get better soon......

Sun Flower

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
(female)

Shimz HB User

obred i have similar problems and my shingles were on my back but now i have problems everywhere

Old 09-10-2006, 06:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

Lyrica is a new med just for shingles pain ask you doctor for a prescription

Old 09-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
(female)

Shimz HB User

I already tried lyrica makes me sleep for 14 hours was on it for 2weeks. It just changes who I am so I decided not to take it. I am on 0 meds. I don't just have shingles pain for shingles is PHN and only in the area that person gets shingles. I have nerve problems all over the place now which I believe was cause by the last attack i had of shingles without the rash. Or perhaps the phn got so bad that it came from it.

I'm not a believer for "lets keep trying different meds" If it get so bad where i know its a whole new attack i end up getting valtrex other then that just deal with it.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:08 AM   #6
(female)

yanksgirl HB User

Obred--I too have had facial shingles. I'm in my 10th week now and I totally understand all you're going through. It 'is getting better'!! I took Lyrica 300 mg for almost 9 weeks and just weaned off of it due to swelling of my feet and legs. It served it's purpose. I was put on 75 mg twice a day and that did nothing, the 300 mg did 'knock me doofy' at first, but I got thru that and also had to use LIdocaine patches for about 3 episodes. My biggest help was soft vinyl icebags from Walgreen's. I'd put a kleenex on my forehead and face and rest the soft icepack on it and it would ease the itching and pain until the intensity would subside. I tried taking pain meds but they make me sick so just took advil. I had two really bad painful weeks and one day of 'horrible intense pain' that felt like my forehead had a hot coal lying on it. I cried and walked the floor. The itching is some of the worst part and I still deal with that and it seems to be worse at night. My forehead is very tender and sore above my eye. I had it in my eye and had to have steroid drops for weeks and am now weaning off of them. My eye has not been damaged. However, my eyelid and brow have 'no feeling'. It's like they are asleep, except to itch! The nerve is damaged there and I don't know if it will ever get feeling back. I am 95% better so hang in there. There's light at the end of the tunnel.
yanksgirl

Old 09-15-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

My DH had shingles on his eyelids and hairline/forehead and face. It was horrid for him. The doctor gave him some type of antibiotic to take and cream to put on his scabs. It was scary because it can harm the eyes. Don't scratch- no matter how much it itches. I know, easier said than done. Hang in there all you can.

Take care and get well

Hugs

Coffeegirl

Closed Thread