It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User
Shingles...uhhhh on top of the fibro..Anyone else?

I just went to the doctors yesterday because I was in terrible pain with a rash on my back. A different kind of pain with the fibro... Diag with Shingles and today it is awful. The doctor put me on valtrex (sp) and percocet. I am feeling so bad and the pain is horrible....like an iron on my back. Has anyone else ever experienced this? What did you do that helped?

Any advice?

The doctor said stress with low immune system brought it on....

Thanks, Annie

Old 09-13-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Re: Shingles...uhhhh on top of the fibro..Anyone else?

oh wow hon, do i feel sorry for you, shingles is extremely painful!!
yes i had it about 5 years ago, mine were from the navel, wrapped around to the left and ended at the spine, so really the whole left side of my abdomen and back.
my doc gave me some pills for it, could be the same , it was to slow down the shingles from spreading further. she also gave me lidoderm patches which helped greatly with the pain. before that tho i had ended up in the emergency room cause of the pain. it was during the weekend so wasnt able to go to see my doc till afterwards, dont know why the ER docs didnt prescribe me the patches. but i remember it lasted what seemed like forever, maybe close to 7 weeks or so. even now i still feel pain in the area once in a long long while, not as bad, seems to be getting better as the years go by. but i also get chillbumps in that area when it does hurt. make sure you ask your doc for the lidoderm patches, see if she can prescribe some for you, it helped alot , didnt take the pain away but did lessen it greatly.
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2006, 02:52 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

Thanks so much Jenetti....I have been awake all night in pain. This is the first thing I will do this morning when I .....hmmmm...not wake up, that's for sure.

Hugs, Annie

Do you know if you can get these again?

Old 09-15-2006, 06:52 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi annie,
yes you can get them again. hope you feel better today. spoke with my friend on your behalf. remembered my sis had them in her eyes when she was 19. sis and i never had chicken pox or any other childhood disease.
hang in there girlfriend,
peace and no itching,
blue

Old 09-15-2006, 07:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

yea like BLady says, you can get them again. in fact sometimes i get stressed out (am my parents caretakers , and mom has alzheimers) pretty much during a bad month with my parents, and im always worried if i start hurting bad on my back that i am getting them again. i know its silly to worry but WOW, since the pain of shingles is so bad, it really scares me sometimes to think i might end up getting them again, so any bad pain on my back sometimes sends me into panic thinking uh oh, could it be shingles again?

Old 09-16-2006, 12:26 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

Hi Blue...Hello Jenetti...
Blue, thank you too for looking out for me. I appreciate both of your responses. I certainly can relate ot worrying about the stress factor and getting them back again. I'm sure I will be doing that once this occurence has bid goodbye. It's 3:25am and could not sleep because of the pain....uhhhhhhhhhhhh, this is no fun.

Hugs....but none for me today thanks...he he...darn shingles.

Annie

Old 09-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

I did get a prescription today for the Lidoderm patches....and Neurontin (sp?)...My fingers, toes and everything else is crossed hoping this will help. The pain is so terrible....I wish so much it would go away.

Thanks for all the kind words and advice...everything is worth trying ( :

Annie

Old 09-20-2006, 04:27 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

morning annie,
how are you doing today? are the patches helping? neurontin will take a bit to notice a change so have patience. every time i have an itch on my back i think of you. must be why it was itching so bad yesterday. poor little sister.
is there anything that can be done in your work place to lessen your stress? jobs you can delegate out, people you can utilize as buffers between you and the stress source.
since you cannot scratch i will scratch for you. scratch, scratch. mmm, feel any better?
tiny hugs, big scratches, love and peace,
blue

Old 09-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

Bluelakelady...you have always been my source of a big smile, no matter what! I just love the heck out of you!!! So far no difference with the patch, but hopeful. My arm is hurting far worse then my back this morning.... but I did read the limbs could be affected as well. Unfortunately with the patch it's 12 hours on and 12 off, so I cannot put it on my arm. Thanks for the update on Neurontin, I didn't realize that and my doctor isn't really a brain surgeon in any stretch of the imagination. Looking for a new doctor, but with the shingles, not easy. Work, it's a small office, under 10 people, so little to help as they are all stressed out. It's the VP, who I support as well. Wish it were as easy as picking up and leaving, but with Fibro, Shingles and being a single mom...such as life. I am trying to change her (BIG ha.) She is disorganized, blames everyone for everything, but herself, blah, blah, blah.

Bluelakelady, how are you feeling? How's hubby and life? Thank you so much for all of your support, hugs and the special way you make "everyone" smile.

Gentle hugs, Annie

Old 09-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

hi annie,
doing good. weather change is saying hello in these old bones. giggle. no hubby girlfriend. just a man friend and he is continuing to be a kind supportive friend. i live with my brother. we have a home only big enough for 2. on purpose, giggle.
trying to change the spots on the boss are ya? giggle. all you can do is change the way you respond to her. my favorite for temper tantrum blame gamers is to stand quietly and watch them dig their way in. no response difusses the person. they really need you to react so they can say their next line. sorta like a play.
i was with one of those in male form for 16years. i changed my way and i gotta tell you that got under his skin. no fun if i don't play along. got rid of him. pity we cannot do the same with bosses.
being single does make you feel stuck. however, you can always spread your resume about. never know when a better offer is hanging out there. maybe and office that just got rid of their troublemaker and want a nice quiet hard worker, you.
scratch, scratch,
blue

Old 09-21-2006, 08:26 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

So sorry you have shingles, and on top of fibro! If the neurontin does not help, please ask your doc about Lyrica. It is one of the first drugs specifically for this, and another use. Do a google search on it. You should be able to get samples, as it is new. Hope you get better soon!

Amanda

Old 09-24-2006, 08:45 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

Thanks everyone....the Lyrica I will ask about...doing a bit better, but still hurting pretty bad.

Thanks again! Annie

Closed Thread