It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
(male)

Steve Brandt HB User
MS and Shingles in the last 4 years CONNECTION?

I have been diagnosed with Multiple sclerosis for about a year and a half, I suspect I maybe have had this for a few years now. I also had a real bad case of shingles about four years ago, the worst the hospital here ever saw. I was a wreck, what pain! anyway I have nerve damage called nuralgia from that where by I have constant pain. Is there a relationship between the two? I know they are basicly cousins, but is there a direct link between the two? anybody else had the two together? Looking for some HELP here.

thanks

Steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: MS and Shingles in the last 4 years CONNECTION?

Steve

Shingles is basically a off branch to the chicken pox , which is in the same bracket with herpes.All autoimmune related.So its possible.

My daughter who is 11 now had shingles at the age of 6.She also suffers from the nerve pain that the shingles had left.She has developed nystigmus(sp) her eyes don't move back and forth.My neuro is watching her,since I have MS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
(female)

iluvsiamese HB User
Re: MS and Shingles in the last 4 years CONNECTION?

I would think any illness would exacerbate MS symptoms. I was DX at 27, I'm 35 now, and I've never had the chickenpox, so shingles aren't anything I can get either. I wouldn't think there would be any connection between the two, just out of my own experience. They think MS is contracted by a virus... what that virus is I don't know, nor has anyone been able to figure it out. I was hospitalized when I was five with some unknown illness fever of 108, terrible pain, so much that they couldn't even touch me, they had to put me on an ice mattress to keep from cooking my brain, high dose penicillan shots in each leg every 4 hours. 4 days later, I was well, and I mean overnight well. Stumped the doctors... Perhaps it's has something to do with high fevers in general... Just a thought.

Closed Thread