It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

Irishgal HB User
Shingles?

hey

just wondering for any of you out there that have had shingles in the past, how did it happen and what symptoms do you have?
im tired all the time and been having diarreha for the past 2 weeks just once a day. i cant get the heat into me and also on my right side, near my belly button im sooo itchy, and its all red and bumpy.

what do ya think?
thanks!

Old 02-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User
Re: Shingles?

Irishgal,
My mom had it and, I can't tell you everything you need to know but, I believe it is the Chicken Pox virus that goes dormant after you have had it in the past and can suddenly cause Shingles. Some people have it happen after an injury, others after they are really sick. I don't recall if my mom was feverish but, I know she was in an immense amount of pain for months with shingles. Go visit your doctor to get a proper diagnosis. I think, like alot of things, the earlier you are diagnosed, the better for treatment and the shorter the period of time. My mom's was so bad she was on pain killers for it until she found out she has a bad reaction to pain killers and just had to suffer through it for the rest of the time until it worked itself out of her system.

I think she let her go a bit too long before she got diagnosed or she wouldn't have suffered from it for several months.

Take care! Please keep in touch and let us know how you are!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

cheer up HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgal View Post
hey

just wondering for any of you out there that have had shingles in the past, how did it happen and what symptoms do you have?
im tired all the time and been having diarreha for the past 2 weeks just once a day. i cant get the heat into me and also on my right side, near my belly button im sooo itchy, and its all red and bumpy.

what do ya think?
thanks!
It does sound like you could gave shingles. Fatigue and stomach problems are common before the rash breaks out, and now you have that. Get to a doctor ASAP, like today, to see what he/she thinks. If it is, you may get pills called Valtrex or similar. It's a 7 day regimen. I think it helps; now what I've got left in week two (can take 3-5 weeks to heal) is drying of the area and blisters drying too. Also, flu-like feeling is gone. But...the red areas are more itchy and burning now, too, so calamine lotion is good. Hard to sleep but just have to wait for the virus to run its course.

Good luck

Old 06-07-2007, 03:56 AM   #4
(female)

Ellie1981 HB User

Hi

A red, itchy rash came up on my left foot a couple of weeks ago, and everything I've seen and read online suggests that it's shingles. I had it about 9 years ago when I was 16, although that was on my back so I couldn't really see what it looked like. I don't feel particuarly ill, although I've maybe been a little more tired than usual. When the rash first started it was red and turned into little blisters that itched like hell, and then as they started to dry up they stopped itching and the skin started to peel off where it was so dry. The thing that's worrying me about it is that now it looks like it's started to spread, which is why I'm not so sure it is shingles - some similar looking itchy blisters have appeared on my right foot and the palm of my right hand. Is it possible that it's something else, and if so, any suggestions as to what it might be?

Old 06-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
(female)

Laura51 HB User

It still could be shingles. They do spread. I am jist getting over them. They were on my abdomen and my back. They do itch, blister, and burn. Please have your rash checked, because shingles are contagious. The Dr. can give you meds to help you get over them. It could be something else but you need to have them checked out. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
(female)

lilcee HB User

Does the rash from shingles come and go? I've had this rash different places on my body that itches like crazy but sometimes it goes away and comes back later. I thought it was hives because it looked like big whelts. But now I have a rash that looks like it's got scabs on it and doesn't go away. It's not oozing or anything like that. It itches really bad and sometimes feels like it itches way down inside my body.
My legs hurt too.
The rash is mostly on my hips and thighs but sometimes on my arms that goes away. I also get big itchy bumps on my chin that goes away after awhile. I also get a itchy rash on my back but that goes away after awhile.
Can hives turn into shingles? It sure does itch and hurt (burns). I can't seem to find anything that helps the itch except sometimes Vit E cream will help some. It's hard to get to sleep at night because that's when it's the worst.
I have an appoint with an allergist but I saw your post about shingles and was wondering if this sounds like it.
Thanks

Old 08-29-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
(female)

LadyE002 HB User
Unhappy Re: Shingles?

Hello to all,new to the board.Joined because my 14 year old son was diagnosed last night with shingles.Went to the hospital on Sunday they diagnose him with an ear infection and poison Ivy,ended up back at the hospital last night because he was in such severe pain.The blisters have pretty much taken over the right side of his face including his right ear canal,entire right side of his mouth and throat.He is drinking fluids threw a straw but can not open his mouth to eat.Took him to his Doctor today and was told he has what they classify as a "Super Infection". He has another Doc appointment tommorow.They put him on anti viral medicine and a heavy duty pain killer.Doctor said it could be a long recovery time for him.Sorry for the long letter just had to vent. What a horrible disease this is. Prayers to anyone who suffers from it.

Closed Thread