It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

Lizzy Day HB User
Herpes or shingles?

I'v been having outbreaks since 2000 the sores are on the back of my left leg about and inch or so from the back of my knee and I was told by doctor it was shingles. Last year they actually took a swab and told me it was herpes, the same kind as genital herpes, but not genital herpes as it not in that area and I'v never had symtoms there. Last year I had a four month period where I got it every month. I was prescribed acyclover (sp?) but taking it so much made me feel very ill and it didn't really help anyway. I'v not had it for a while but I'v been taking manuka honey, both consuming it and topically on my sores, this seems to be working for me at the moment. But I'm confused as to why my sores appear so far from my genital region. It starts with tingling then a red patch progressing to blisters which then grow and grow until they are like a hideous pyramid of puss fill blisters. Grim. I also get pain around that area when there are not sores, like inside my leg and on the skin, but its not painful to touch. Any feedback appreciated.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User
Re: Herpes or shingles?

I'm not sure if you are aware that shingles is a herpes virus...just an FYI!

You can have OBs of hsv 2 anywhere on your body and also be careful that you don't spread it to somewhere else on your body...such as your genitals or to someone else. Very contagious!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
(female)

Lizzy Day HB User

sorry duplicate

Last edited by Lizzy Day; 03-07-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
(female)

Lizzy Day HB User

Thanks for your reply. I'm careful and keep it palstered untill it's scabbed. Don't share towels and avoid taking baths during active periods. I'm upset at misdiagnosis even though I'd been to docs frequently. Although I know shingles is also a contagious infection and have been aware of spreading it to others from the start. I'd be gutted if I was responsible for infecting others.
I'v just tried to accept I'v got to live with this and try and not get too stressed but taking time off work has been stressful in its self, and with the stigma attached to any type of herpes realted condition I don't feel I can tell my employers the real reason for my absenteeism just stating 'viral infection'. I also suffer from acute psoriosis approx every seven years and have been treated with ultraviolet but can get small OB during times of stress and a low immune system, unrealated I know but another form of skin condition. It's a vicious circle and depressing.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

alyb HB User

you can only spread shingles to people who haven't had the chicken pox! and then they get the pox. you can't spread shingles to people, it comes from within you!! FYI

ad

Old 03-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User

This also happens once in a great while to my dh. He has type 2 genital. He will get a bad headache and then a big patch of blisters on the back of his leg like you described. I always wondered also if this was a case of shingles or an ob just in a different location.

Closed Thread