It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
(female)

Gladjudy36 HB User
Question Shingles for over one year

My husband broke out with shingles on the top of his head just on the right side. They eventually spread down to and including his eyelid. That was January of 06. The rash is long gone, but the pain is almost unbearable still. If he becomes cold, he really is in for it. He believes his vision changes day to day from the shingles. Does anyone have any suggestions? I understand this could go on for another year. He's taking a minimum dosage of Neurontin, but the pain is still awful. He had Valtrex at the beginning. Oh, his eye swelled shut at the beginning.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
(female)

robin37 HB User
Re: Shingles for over one year

hi Judy

this is my first post. My husband has had shingles in his eye for one month now. his symptoms are so like your husbands. rash in his hair on the right hand side of his face and his eyelid swollen. you say your husband was diagnosed in 2006 and is still sensitive to the cold air and still in pain. the poor man and poor you, life cant have been much fun for you both. it seems like I have it all to go through. if you have any suggestions to help ease the pain etc. I would be very grateful. (he was on Valtrex tabs and Zovirax ointment in the eye) thank you Robin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
(female)

cheer up HB User
Re: Shingles for over one year

Sorry to hear of your husbands' shingles issues, both of you.

I got shingles two months ago, but not on my head/face. Mine were in a wide band from spine around the side and ending mid-abdomen.

The scarring is still there, and with that the stabbing pains that are out of control. Sometimes I can't stand for anything to touch the area, other times it's not so bad. You never know, minute to minute. The nerves are fried from the virus, simple as that.

Will any of us eventually get relief and have the pain gradually disappear? Who knows? Doctors just guess and prescribe drugs.

I am now on LYRICA, just 100 mg. a day in two 50 mg. doses. I should take more for more comfort, but don't want more side effects. As it is I've gained weight, feel spacey and tired plus some swelling in feet and hands. Nothing bad, though, and I hope I don't have to take this for years.

I think Lyrica really does help and would recommend you see if your doctor(s) think it advisable for your husbands.

One thing I've noticed: no matter what, pain/discomfort is worse in the evenings. Is that true for your husbands as well?

Last edited by cheer up; 04-06-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Closed Thread