It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User
shingles

I have come down with the Shingles and was wondering if anyone else here has had this wonderful experience. If so how long does it last? Since my immune system is compromised from the methotrexate, I am unsure how much longer it will continue. I am still getting new blisters so I know that I still have awhile to go. Anyone out there have any idea how long the breakout continues and how much longer the pain lasts?

It really pisses me off that I have to live in pain every day only for there to be yet another painful disease thrown my way. But at least I know this one IS temporary and will go away. I am just trying to get my head around how long. From what I read online it can be quite a while, but they alway say further complications are possible if you are immunocompromised, which ofcourse, I am.

I was just trying to see if others like me who are immunocompromised, could give me an idea how much longer this excrutiating pain will continue.

Erin
Dallas TX

Old 04-02-2007, 04:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Re: shingles

Hi Erin, so sorry to hear you have shingles. Also if you are looking for peace of mind you may not want to read this! I got shingles about a year and a half ago it was HORRIBLE So I really do feel for you. However, even though this is not supposed to happen, I have had it about 10 times since and developed neuropothy from it, so even without the rash, I still suffer. Actually I'm having a small outbreak right now. Mine got infected which made matters worse. From what I understand the sooner you get some antiviral meds (within like1-3days from onset) the better your chances of no complications. I didn't go to the doc for over a week so that made things worse from what I'm told.
On another note-I went to 2 differnt doctors after who said all those outbreaks may not have been shingles at all but Lupus rashes so may be you should see another doc and have the blisters biopsied before they go away!
feel better
Kara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User
Re: shingles

I actually thought the rash was from the Lupus since one of the outbreaks was in a circular form with what looked like pimples with a fluid filled top but there was just so much pain from it, and not skin pain but deep stabbing and shooting pain. I had never heard of lupus rashes doing that, although I had not had that big of a problem with them. My rashes are on my face and neck. They don't really hurt. Just feel hot and stingy...this was a totally different feeling. I looked it up and up popped "shingles" and it said that it was something that had to run its course. My rheumi appt was in a week so I just toughed it out till I saw him. He confirmed the shingles and ran my routine bloodwork which was pretty bad. I am going back tomorrow for the follow-up on the blood work and see if it has improved. I hope so, since my flare is only getting worse and I need to get back on my meds. I hate taking the high doses of prednisone.

The skin erruptions have healed almost but the pain is still there just as bad. I am really hoping it gets better soon.

Erin
Dallas, TX

Closed Thread