It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Shingles and thyroid nodules/disease

Does anyone else here have shingles? I keep getting breakouts and now today my Family Doctor says he is afraid it is related to my thyroid and wants me to "reconsider taking it out". He is afraid I have an underlying cancer that is triggering the shingles............. I am not happy at all about this..........

SO I have reluctantly agreed to see a Endo of his choice for a 5th opinion on June 14th....................... He seemed so concerned I had to agree..........

That old fear crept into me today...........I have not felt that "craziness" in a while...........

I fly out to California in the morning and have a lot to do in a few short days with my Dad........Have to get my mind in a better place........

Thanks for your ear you guys..............love you much..............Oleander:

Old 05-29-2007, 11:35 PM   #2
(female)

ellie_downunder HB User
Re: Shingles and thyroid nodules/disease

Oh Ole, I just want to give you a big cuddle and I want for you to know my prayers are with you ! there are a lot of people on here that could advise you better than me. but Shingles are hard to get rid of at the best of times .

Maybe you will be able to fight them off better with the Thyroid gone. I have read that Thyroid can effect your Immune system so maybe its a positive step and you will feel great real soon and back in the party mood ! Cheers Ellie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 03:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

I've been looking for the shingles connection for the last year. May of last year I came down with shingles on my face. After having my thyroid under semi control for 12 years, the darn thing shot off on me that week and hasn't settled down since. I have found some old posts on other boards and such where people mention shingles but they don't make a connection. It's just one of those casual aside type of things. I have found no studies regarding it.

I was also told that shingles is not contagious. I came down with shingles after coming in contact with someone with shingles and someone else came down with shingles after contact with me and then her sister in law came down with it. Lots of people in the county started coming down with it. It was like suddenly everyone had shingles or knew someone with shingles. Watched the same thing happen about 15 years ago too where everyone suddenly had shingles. Both times, there was a big outbreak of chickenpox too. Coincidence? Oh, my last major problem with my thyroid occured at the same time as the last outbreak.

Please, do let me know what you find out. I, myself, do not have nodules. I just have a whacked out thyroid that isn't even autoimmune in nature. I do have a gut feeling though that that shingles episode I had did something and that there is a connection somewhere.

Helen

Old 05-30-2007, 04:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Your doctor is just being cautious which is good. You wouldn't rather he just ignore it. He seems to care. There are some cancers that create rashes (I think those that affect lymph nodes and or blood), so it's good to rule out the one he happens to know about---those nodules.

You happen to be a pretty busy person, so I think it will help you keep busy until that appt.......and keep the mind clear!!!

Last edited by Reece; 05-30-2007 at 04:21 AM.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
(female)

3sweeties2005 HB User

Is it for sure shingles?? As you know shingles is the same as having chickenpox except it is common in older people versus the young. Have you been exposed recently to someone with the chickenpox? I don't know how shingles could relate to some underlying cancer though that sounds crazy.
Hope you doctors appointment straightens things out for you.

Big Hugs,

A.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shingles is more likely to occur in someone who has a weakened immune system. It mainly hits those over the age of 50 when the immune system begins to weaken on it's own but is known to be more prevalent in anyone whose immune system is not quite up to par for any reason. Some malignancies, especially Hodgkin's disease, do weaken the immune system. It's very common in those who receive chemotherapy for cancer treatment.

I did, however, just run into something interesting: "Conversely, some hormones are regulated by the immune system, notably thyroid hormone activity." I shall follow this lead and see what I can find.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Thanks everyone for all the great input......I appreciate the support so much.

To answer some questions I would say yes it is probably shingles........ I have looked at pictures and can almost tell you when it is going to happen by the way I feel..

I was told and read there is a time it can be contagious when your breakout is happening just like herpes........but have not confirmed that....

I read you do see more cases when after the Chicken pox vaccine is given to children or is someone has chickenpox...so there is some kind of contagious element I believe......
It is more prevelent in people over 50........I am 53 and had a severe case of chicken pox as a child......so I fit the profile........

and I am a stress ball right now. Single parent, my 94 year old father is ill, twins in college, work increased travel, and thyroid problems.......

I have no antibodies showing at all with my thyroid problem....... just nodules with 3 dominant ones and all labs on the low end of normal.....I am on Armour 2 1/2 Grams a day.......

My Doctor really saw the shingles as a red flag but we will see...............

So today I have to fly to California....... over to Dallas and then onto LA..

Thanks again everyone...........love you all.........sincerely, Oleander

Old 05-30-2007, 06:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

You will be back in time for the party, won't ya?

Everything I've read says shingles is not contagious as shingles. They say it cannot be transmitted from person to person. However, a person with active shingles can transmit chickenpox to someone who has not had chickenpox.

Shingles is a reactivation of the herpes virus that lays dormant after a round of chicken pox. I too had an extremely bad case and am also cursed with a weakened immune system.

One thing no one seems to say is what in the world it is that actually reactivates this virus. I also can't see how if a person with shingles can give a person chickenpox, why in the world could someone with shingles not provide the activator mechanism for triggering an outbreak of shingles in another person? The conclusions that I've read on this non-contagious aspect just doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe I'm missing something???

Oh well, I plan to keep looking.

Hope your trip goes well. Keep busy and keep your mind off things. Truly, I have looked and I am not finding stuff linking shingles to thyroid cancer. I think he's just being terribly, terribly cautious and the odds are really in your favor.

Take care,
Helen

Old 05-30-2007, 06:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hugs to you, Oleander. You probably know my dislike of doctors, but even I would very likely listen to that one and follow his advice. Wishing you the best with the decision.

As for shingles, Dr. Donohue, the newspaper columnist, explained it within the last week or two. Here are the facts as he outlined them:
The virus lies dormant in your body from the time when you had chickenpox.
When the virus re-awakes, you get shingles, not chickenpox again.
Shingles is not contagious from one person to another.
When your shingles erupt, you can pass the virus to someone who has never had either infection, and that will cause chickenpox - not shingles - in the newbie.
Exposure to someone with chickenpox will not cause your virus to re-awake and cause shingles.

In short, you catch chickenpox which might later erupt as shingles, but you can only pass chickenpox, not shingles.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Midwest,

That's exactly what everything I've ever read says. No one seems to say what actually causes the re-awakening other than a weakened immune system. But not everyone with a weakened immune system gets shingles.

Living in a small community, it just seems so odd how this shingles thing seems to come in waves. Even the er doc said that there seemed to be a sudden rise in shingles cases all of a sudden back last may when I went in. There was also a major outbreak of chicken pox going on in the 2 schools we have here in the county.

I'm not saying that it's truely contagious but wondering whether there just might not be a possible link between being exposed to someone with chicken pox or shingles and something to do with that exposure triggering some factor in someone who is prone to shingles anyhow????

So many questions. So few answers.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
So many questions. So few answers.
Ain't that the truth?
My husband came down with shingles in his 30's, when he was young, strong, and very healthy. As far as I can tell, his immunity has always been topnotch. It's a mystery, alright.

Closed Thread