It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

fazter189 HB User
Shingles

Over the last few days I've had a really bad itching sensation on my shoulder and thought it was just bite from a flea of some sort. However, upon examination revealed loads of red spotted lumps grouped together. They feature a burning sensation and blisters on top. Over today and yesterday, I have been having frequent tingling and aches in my bones on the shoulder - hurts to touch.

I told some friends and they said it could be shingles. My worry is my job - having time off, I don't want to let people down and feel like I am dumping all the hard work on them. I haven't seen the doctor yet, I will be the next day, but I am worried he will ask me to take time off. Do you think I should stay at home until I am better? Or would I be okay to go into work still?

Old 08-15-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

allsorts HB User
Re: Shingles

I would say take time off regardless, you have shingles. Shingles is contagious, you don't want people to get it do you? Especially the elderly and those with low immunity. Also, your doctor may not even give you a sick note you never know. I've known people to not get sick notes for shingles.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

First of all: i just had shingles despite my age (usualy older people get them, but my immune system is down due a very major surgery) - so i know something about it too.
Yes, you are very contageous for about 10 days to 2 weeks and they don't allowed to be near people. It can be very dangerous to some of them. So go to the Doctor, he will give you medication (they have nowadays) which helps with pain and shortens the time of blistering.
And feel better!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
(female)

LadyE002 HB User

Hello to all,new to the board.Joined because my 14 year old son was diagnosed last night with shingles.Went to the hospital on Sunday they diagnose him with an ear infection and poison Ivy,ended up back at the hospital last night because he was in such severe pain.The blisters have pretty much taken over the right side of his face including his right ear canal,entire right side of his mouth and throat.He is drinking fluids threw a straw but can not open his mouth to eat.Took him to his Doctor today and was told he has what they classify as a "Super Infection". He has another Doc appointment tommorow.They put him on anti viral medicine and a heavy duty pain killer.Doctor said it could be a long recovery time for him.Sorry for the long letter just had to vent. What a horrible disease this is. Prayers to anyone who suffers from it.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
(female)

crftydy342 HB User

Shingles is NOT contaigous to the general population. It is only spread if someone who has not had chicken pox comes into contact with the liquid filled in your blisters. Make sure everyone has had chicken pox or stay far away from those that haven't. If your taking off for the pain, go to the dr for something like valtrex to shorten the length of the out break and use otc pain meds like ibuprofin and tylenol. If that doesnt help ask the dr for a stronger pain med. Cool compresses help as well. Hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread