It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User
Question Lyme and shingles

I know I have read somewhere that some people with Shingles were eventually diagnosed with Lyme.. or that some with Lyme developed Shingles at some point. I'm curious to know any members' experience with both?

A relative told me a couple of months ago that she was bit by a tick on her elbow (though she didn't tell me exactly when it happened). She developed a rash there, but her doctor claimed that 1.) there is no Lyme where she lives, and 2.) that the rash was actually just from her scratching the bite. She just told me this weekend that she's getting over a case of Shingles (although it was much milder than people told her it would be). Immediately I thought of Lyme.

I told her when she first mentioned the bite and the rash, that her doctor was mistaken. There are indeed Lyme cases where she lives. I told her the rash was proof of the fact. I sent her a list of symptoms to at least look out for, I mentioned Igenex and gave her their web address, etc.. however, I am almost positive that she never took it really seriously. Not to mention, I also think that her medical insurance co. is the one that is basically in cahoots with the IDSA, which would limit her treatment anyway. And here it is months out from the bite.

If somebody told you they were bit, then (after being told it isn't Lyme) went on to develop Shingles, wouldn't you be suspicious? Or am I just paranoid?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User
Re: Lyme and shingles

I think I had a mild case of shingles some months ago. I had two huge, painful blisters on the right side of my abdomen. They left scars! I was never diagnosed w/ shingles but I kinda figure that's what it was.

Also, my Epstien-Barr levels are off the chart.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

itsmylife HB User

I developed shingles at one point during my Lyme infection.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi, if you have had chicken pox you most likely are having outbreaks of shingles. When our immune systems break down or over stressed a person can get outbreaks of shingles. I started doing that back in my 20's. And of course no doctor put me on an antiviral to calm them down.

I have been on Valtrex and Valcyte now pretty close to a year for Epstein Barr and Cytomeglovirus (they are herpes also) and I haven't had ANY outbreaks of shingles...THANK GOODNESS....

Hope you find something that helps cause they can cause ALOT of problems...

Good Luck!

Old 10-01-2007, 05:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

I was doing some more research, and I know there have been more cases of Rocky Mountain Spotted fever in that part of California.. And RMSF and shingles are closely linked.. man. I wonder..

Closed Thread