It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
(male)

LEODR12902 HB User
Shingles Vaccination

My parents are 85 and 82, and have been advised by their doctor to come in for the Shingles Vaccination. Neither have ever had Chicken Pox, and are thinking that it is a waste of their time and resources. Any comments?

Old 10-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
(female)

annie42 HB Userannie42 HB Userannie42 HB User
Re: Shingles Vaccination

During a very stressful situation, I broke out with shingles. I'm sixty-four.

I wish I had known about the vaccine prior to getting shingles. Based on what I read about it, I would certainly have gotten vaccinated. The worse part about shingles is the sometimes lasting pain, PHN. It'a a pain like no other.

I would suggest you look up the vaccine and it's side effects before making a decision.

Blessings, annie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

I get shingles all the time, my immunesystem is crappy and when ever I get stressed my immune system is low, and I get it, and yes the pain is no good. when I have a shingles OB I don't stop working or doing things, otherwise I would be bed ridden for weeks. which is not gonna happen, I always wonder when I pass small children if I will give them chicken pox. it never even crossed my mined that there might be older people who never had it. I believe it is air born, so you just never know wheather you come in contact with it or not, I tend to come in contact with it quite often, like once every 2 years

I think your parents doctor is only trying to look out for them, becasue as we get older our immune system is not as good. I mean if they did get it, I have heard chicken pox could be life threatning to adults. but they may be so healthy and have been exposed to it, and their body has already created anti bodies for it and they never had any symptoms. so they may never get it even if they do come in contact with it.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

If they've never had chicken pox why the shingles vaccine? Why not the chicken pox vaccine? I also have had shingles quite a few times but you can't get it unless you've had chicken pox. Shingles come from the chicken pox virus laying dormant in your system until something reactivates it.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

i believe the doctor believes that they may have been so healthy and have already been exposed to it, and their body has already created anti bodies for chicken pox and they never had any symptoms. but if their immune system is getting low, then it will act up in the form of shingles not chicken pox. because because they already had chicken pox, they just never had the symptoms. the body gets older, it will create less and less antibodies for this, so they will get either chicken pox or shingles. Both are the same virus, only acting differently, and both are really bad for people of your parents age.

The only reason the chicken pox virus is “dormant” is because whenever a live virus is floating around n the body, if you have enough of that anti body, it will find that virus quickly lock to it, before it can breed. Its like putting the virus in Jail. As long as you have more security vs inmates. You have it locked up and there is no problem. But as people get older, they tend to produce less and less of these antibodies. And the inmates get out. A vaccination is you putting more antibodies in a body that may have less anti bodies. A vaccination for shingles would be just adding more security to keeping these inmates in jail.

I use a lot of modifiers when I talk, I guess I like to picture the body and all the things that happen in it like a story, with characters.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
(female)

sweetme1967 HB User

if you parents haven't "fooled around" in the lat 20 years or so and have had the chicken pox when young its a waste of money

Old 11-14-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I'm sorry, sweetme, I'm not sure what "fooling around" has to do with chicken pox or shingles.

Shingles typically occurs in older people who had chicken pox as kids. You don't "catch" shingles from people, the virus goes latent after the childhood infection, and can come back out in a different form when the immune system is weak.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Interesting to read. I had chicken pox as a child and then I got shingles once when I was 17. It keft a scar on my back. I remember it being bumpy and bruised looking, it was weird. I don't remember pain with it too much. I did go to the doctor and surely it was shingles.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

There is a simple blood test they can have also to check for immunity to chicken pox.

Closed Thread