It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

kwclyde HB User
Hypothyroidism and shingles

I think my husband has shingles and I have read that people with auto immune diseases shouldn't be in contact with someone that has shingles at least when they have the blisters. I have auto immune hypothyroidism (?) and am wondering if I can contract the shingles from him. Please help with this and if you know of anything that I can do to relieve him of his severe pain I would appreciate it.

Sinecerely,
kwclyde

Old 01-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
(female)

UofMWolverines HB UserUofMWolverines HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism and shingles

For what it's worth, I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and my husband has had shingles twice. I never got shingles from those two episodes. As long as you don't touch his blisters or come into contact with anything that has, I would think that you would be fine. You and your husband should, of course, be careful w/ towels, sheets, pillowcases, toiletries (like bars of soap), etc... until his blisters heal. Good luck!

UofM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

When warnings about autoimmune diseases are issued in instances like this, they're talking more about people who are immune compromised... specifically, AIDS patients and people in chemotherapy for cancer. Hashi's isn't in the same category of risk.

As for your poor husband, I guess he now has the blisters? Anti-herpes drugs which shorten the duration of the outbreak have been developed since my hubby had shingles, but if I'm not mistaken, I think they have to be started before the blisters form. He should definitely run it by a doctor if he hasn't already. Sorry I don't know more about how to stop the pain. I know it can be dreadful.

Last edited by midwest1; 01-20-2008 at 08:31 PM.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Shingles.....is the chicken pox virus. A person with shingles can pass the virus to individuals who have never had chickenpox, but these individuals will develop chickenpox not shingles. A person with chickenpox cannot communicate shingles to someone else. In order for people to develop shingles, they must already harbor the virus in their nervous system, and for those who do harbor the virus, having contact with someone with chickenpox will not trigger shingles. Additionally, a person with shingles cannot communicate shingles to another individual. I hope this is not too confusing! We just studied this in depth at school.

So...Have you had chicken pox or the vaccination?...If No...you can get chicken pox from someone with shingles. If yes....don't worry, you cannot get shingles from anyone but yourself. Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 01-20-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

If you think he has singles then get to the doctor for immediate treatment. The sooner he starts on some special medications the sooner he will recover from it and at the very least doctor will give you the appropriate pain meds. If you wait too long to seek medical attention the lesser chance he has of getting better relief. My mom didn't get right to the doctor with hers and tried to do it on her own but eventually it became too painful and the doctor told her if she had come in right away he could of helped her more.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
(female)

kwclyde HB User

Thank you all for your messages. He has an appointment to see a doctor today. I have been using Lidoderm patches that I had left over from my hysterectomy on his blisters to keep the pain at a minimum until he could get in to see the doctor. Those patches are a wonderful invention. Thanks again for your input and support.

Closed Thread