It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
(female)

Katy53 HB User
Viral Menagitis, shingles and Influenza

I am getting so discouraged. The third week in February I was diagnosed with viral menagitis and shingles and admitted to the hospital where I spent a week. On the day I was discharged I told the Doctor I think I was coming down with a cold. The next day I started coughing, sore throat, more headache and general aches and weakness. When I called the doctor about seven days ago he started me on another round of Levaquin. When I saw him today he said I either had influenza or a antibiotic resistant bug. He sent some mucous off for tests. I guess what I am asking has anyone else has some ideas on how to get my immune system working again? I have mixed connective tissue disease, due to a paralyzed diaphram I have been on oxygen for a year because of low sats and high carbon dioxide. Any encouragement would be appreciated. I live by myself and all my friends are afraid to be near me. I lost my husband four years ago suddenly and I am feeling so alone

Old 03-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
Re: Viral Menagitis, shingles and Influenza

Hang in there Katy, I know this has been a hard road for you based on your post. It is miserable to be so sick and then get sick again on top of it!!! I can understand your friends afraid to come by, but I have a couple of friends that are leaving me meds and soups at my front door and calling me to tell me they are waiting on me. It is lonely to be sick, but I am in the position of taking care of 2 flu folks in the house on top of being sick myself. I am about 3 days behind them in the sickness so they are finally starting to take care of some things themselves and I am going down for the count now. Have you heard back from the tests your doctor sent off? I would keep on them and let them know how you are. They forget with all their other patients, so you need to continue to advocate for your health. Good luck sweetie! You aren't alone out there!
Mim Gregg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
(female)

Katy53 HB User
Re: Viral Menagitis, shingles and Influenza

Thank you for your kind words. It must be very hard taking care of two on top of yourself. I needed to hear that to remind me that things could be alot worse. I hope you are feeling better by now. I haven't heard from the Doctor but they didn't expect to have things back till Monday. My friends brought me some dinner from our church's potluck. I wore a mask. I am supposed to take a new sample in Monday morning, the doc said that a morning sample is more likely to show something that a afternoon. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Closed Thread