It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
(female)

RFF HB User
Shingles exposure and pregnancy.

Hey all, I have never posted on the pregnancy board before, just the IF board. Anyways I have a question regarding shingles and chickenpox during pregnancy. I am now almost 7 weeks pregnant and my stepson has just been diagnosed with shingles. I know shingles exposure can result in chickenpox if one has not been immunized or had chicken pox in the past. I have never had the immunization or the chickenpox. This was confirmed by a blood test about a year ago. Unfortunatley the Dr. saw no need to mmunize me then, UGH!! I called the nurse hotline, who told me to call the Dr. my son saw because my DH who took him in failed to inform the Dr. of my pregnancy. Well, the Dr. told me to disscuss it with my OB/GYN because he couldn't tell me. Talk about getting the run around. I can't get in to see my OB/GYN for another month because they are booked up and by then it will be a little late. I do have an appt with my RE this afternoon, thank goodness, and I will address it with him. Hopefully he can help, but was also wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks in advance.

Renee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User
Re: Shingles exposure and pregnancy.

Well, I didn't have the exact situation as you. I was exposed to Chicken Pox when I was pregnant with my first child. It was very limited, but my dr too wasn't concerned enough. I then got the Chicken Pox as an adult 7 months after I had my second child. That child ended up getting them as well and just had shingles last year when he was three. My third child who wasn't immunized yet did not contract them from him at all.
What I know is that you would have to have direct contact with a weeping shingle lesion. My son's lesions didn't start weeping until well after we knew what was going on. I guess you would have to assess your time and direct contact to him. The first symptom would be a fever, so try to monitor yourself closely. Get some extra rest and keep up with your prenatals and water intake. I would have your doctor run a titer again.
Good luck to you. I know it is so hard not to worry about things like this, but you don't need the extra stress right now so try and fight the urge. Let us know about your appointment!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
(female)

RFF HB User

Thanks for the reply Mee. My RE said to have my son keep his sores covered and that I shouldn't have a lot of contact with him or his clothes or bedding. He said I should also wash his stuff seperately. He checked my b/w and said I did test positive for the antibodies, yet the OB last year said I was negative so who knows. I will just take the precautions he suggested and try not to worry. Renee

Old 04-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

I was 3 months pregnant and came down with chicken pox! I was scared to death, they didn't know if it would affect my baby. My baby is now 16 and she is totally fine

They don't know though if she is immuned to chicken pox though.

Hope

Old 04-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
(female)

RFF HB User

Thanks for the post Hope. It does help. Renee

Closed Thread