It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
(female)

tonya44 HB User
Shingles

My twelve year old son was just diagnosed with Shingles. He had a mild case of chickenpox when he was around 2 or 3. Today, the doctor did not presribe any medications. I know there is no cure for shingles but shouldn't he have been given something? The only thing she said for him to do was to soak in baking soda. She also told me it was not contagious. I read that it was. Also, I have diabetes and got chickenpox when I was aroun 26; I'm not 41. Should I be avoiding my son and do I have anything to be worrried about?

Old 08-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Shingles

I think you are ok to be around your son. If he had chicken pox, you could get shingles from him. There are anti viral medications that help the reduce the severity of the shingles. I heard you would have to start them within 5 days. However, I was sure glad to have the pills. Shingles really hurt. I remember having a really bad headache too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 03:32 AM   #3
(female)

tonya44 HB User

Yes, my son has headaches now. Is it too late to ask for him to get medication? Within 2 to 3 days of his rash appearing, I took him to the doctor;so I guess it's too late to start him on anything. I just feel so bad for him and now i'm worried about myself. Will this come back? And if so, what is the course of action? Do I let it take it's course or take him back immediately so that he can be placed on medicine?

Old 08-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I would call the doctor back and ask if he could benefit from anti-viral therapy.

He is contagious in that he could give other people chicken pox, but it's unusual for someone to "catch" shingles from another person. If anything, being exposed to him might boost your immunity and prevent you from getting shingles.

He can get it again, so you might consider a shingles vaccine.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
(female)

tonya44 HB User

Thank you for the info, Jane. I will be taking him back to the doctor's office tomorrow. I also printed out some material to present to the doctor. Can anyone tell me how this is going to affect him? He's only 12; will be 13 next month. He's very active and loves to play sports. Will he have to give up sports? I've read about the pain associated with Shingles and it scares me. If he gets the vaccine will this stop the outbreaks? I know, I should be asking these qestions to his doctor and I will. Thanks, everyone. You all have been very informative.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

He might have to stop some activities for a while, depending on how serious his case of shingles is. He should not be affected in the long term.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

The only way you can get shingles is if you have had chickpox and then the potiental to get shingles will lay dormant in your body until conditions are right for shingles to pop out. You can not catch it from your son or anyone. I'm not sure how this will affect your little one.... I am very surprised that someone so young would get it since getting shingles is usually due to stress. Anyway, with adults they give the Valtrex...treatment is the same as someone with vaginal herpes...however nothing to do with that just the same treatment. But with someone so young might not be able to take that medicine. So pretty much you would treat the symptoms ..so if a headache then some tylenol or whatever your doctor advises. If child is in pain and tylenol doesn't take it away doctor can prescribe more. Soaking in a special Oatmeal mix can help(same treatments you would use for chickenpox)...I am sorry your son has it but you are right nothing you can do for it or to prevent it. For all of us that have had chickenpox we have the potential to get shingles. However, it is rare and not too many get it considering how many people have had chickpox in the world. I would be wondering if your son got it from something stressful in his life so you can fix that part. Otherwise it will just runs it course. My mom got it when she was 80 something...she was very miserable with pain. good luck.

Closed Thread