HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Shingles (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/shingles/)
-   -   Herpes or shingles?? Please read! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/shingles/655916-herpes-shingles-please-read.html)

adsfdgfhgjhkjl 12-11-2008 10:16 PM

Herpes or shingles?? Please read!

I saw my doctor yesterday regarding strange lesions on my face. When he first looked at me, he said I had a herpes outbreak. Then he noticed that it extended to my cheek, and said instead that it was shingles. I asked him how sure he was and he said he's 80% sure it's shingles, 20% sure it's herpes. Swab results will take 2 weeks and I'm going crazy with worry, so if anyone has any idea which condition my symptoms sound more like then please leave a comment.

It started out with what felt like a pimple on my nose. It's not near the nostril though. The "pimple" turned into a large red bump with what look like tiny little blisters on it. I have two blisters on my top lip, and a few very small blisters between my mouth and my nose. A couple nerves in my cheek feel as though they're going haywire, and these areas have turned into red patches - not blisters, but inflamed little patches. There are three of these, and they are very sensitive to touch. Even when I'm not touching my cheek, I can feel the nerves firing. The highest patch on my cheek is about an inch below my eye.

Does HSV cause such nerve discomfort? How likely is it that an HSV breakout would spread over such an area? I've never had a cold sore before. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

craftygirl3 12-11-2008 10:40 PM

Re: Herpes or shingles?? Please read!

the virus lives in the spine and in nerve endings. that is why they can't cure it at this time. so if it is hsv or a zoster(shingles) that would explain the nerve pain.
Have you had chicken pox? (which is the same virus).

did he put you on a antiviral tablet or cream? to shorten the out break?

I would talk to a dr, or the same one again.

adsfdgfhgjhkjl 12-12-2008 01:18 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have had chicken pox. My doc prescribed antivirals, which should help regardless of whether it's shingles or HSV. I'm praying it's shingles, but despite looking all over the net, I can't determine which one it is!

Seraph 12-12-2008 01:54 AM

Herpes simplex (herpes) and herpes zoster (shingles) are such close relatives, that the treatment is pretty much the same. Don't hope it is shingles, that can damage the nerves so much that you can have semi-permanent pain afterwards. It is a pretty nasty thing for some people, much nastier than simplex. If it is herpes simplex, it is probably not something you caught from sex; as the other poster said, it lives in the body for years, possibly after chicken pox. My daughter had herpes simplex from the age of 14 and she still gets outbreaks on her side. She has never infected anyone else.

meiko 12-12-2008 05:00 AM

Hi ads... Sounds likwe shingles . Similar outbreak occured on my foot and my leg - patch of red with blisters and bumps . Needs to be treated with antivrals within 72 hrs . Even if its longer the treatment for me reduced the effects. I have had shingles before but around the waist area-- spine ,Never thought it could start on foot! There you go i now worry every time I get a red itchy spot . Hope all works out for you. Cheers ,M

adsfdgfhgjhkjl 12-13-2008 10:47 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. It's gotten worse!! <removed> the lesions have spread all along the path line of my infraorbital nerve. <removed> I'm not sure if the lesions look like HSV. Can HSV follow such a path? Can it spread to such a large area? It's on my nose, down to my mouth, and on my cheek, nearly up to my eye. I'm embarrassed to go out in public, people stare!

meiko 12-14-2008 02:17 AM

Oh Dear!! Please find another Dr if you can. It sounds like HSV and should be treated asap. Eyes can be affected too so please seek help now. Best wishes , Meiko

Foxtrot30A 02-16-2011 07:32 AM

i had something similar to what you describe some years ago after being at the beach all day...the Dr called it solar herpes.