It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
(female)

yanksgirl HB User
Shingles vaccine--redness 3 inches at site

I had the shingles vaccine two days ago--no reaction until I noticed last night that I have about an inch in diameter and about a 3 inch long red area where I got the shot. All the literature says this happens in 1 in 3 persons. I couldn't lie comfortably on my left side because the area is tender and I had a slight headache yesterday and this morning--all mentioned in side effects.
I had shingles on the face-- bad case 2 years ago. Just wondering if anyone here has had this happen? Should I be concerned or just watch it a few days? Can I be around children and/or others who haven't had chicken pox while the redness is there? The nurse practitioner said if a rash was there to avoid children under 2 who hadn't had the chicken pox or the vaccine, but she didn't say anything about other persons. I'm wondering how long the rash will last. thanks.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Shingles vaccine--redness 3 inches at site

Sounds like a pretty normal reaction. It shouldn't last long.

Meanwhile, keep the rash covered by clothing, wash your hands after touching it, and don't play with tiny little babies. That should minimize the risk of exposing other people, which isn't too high to begin with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
(female)

yanksgirl HB User

I went back to the place I got the vaccination--the N/P said she'd never seen a reaction like this, also, so said it looked 'angry'. However, after making several phone calls and talking with the pharmacist there, she said it was a localized reaction, seen in several people and it takes about 10 days to go away. It may spread even more, and to take Ibuprophen, Benydryl and used warm compresses on it--or cool, if that felt better.
I've done all three today and it is spreading and very tender to the touch. I'll be very careful to wash my hands. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Actually, if it's an allergic reaction, it's probably not shedding viruses at all. Did the pharmacist say you could put benadryl cream on it?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
(female)

yanksgirl HB User

Topical reaction was actually the term used, and no mention of Benydryl creme.
I have used, 2 x's, Cortizone creme but since it's not itching except when I happen to brush around it, I've not used it since night before last. The redness seems a bit lighter this morning. I used the warm compresses--took Benydryl 2 x's yesterday--made me 'so sleepy', so I'll not take it again until tonight. Today Iused a warm compress, then a cold one which feels better actually. It could last 10 days she said and was nothing to be concerned about. Hope she's right!

Old 12-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah, sounds like an allergic reaction. Not contagious.

Still, keep hitting it with benadryl to keep it from spreading. And definitely ice, no heat on something that's already swollen.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:50 AM   #7
(female)

yanksgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Yeah, sounds like an allergic reaction. Not contagious.

Still, keep hitting it with benadryl to keep it from spreading. And definitely ice, no heat on something that's already swollen.
Thanks again for your help! I'll get back and let you know how long it has lasted. yanksgirl

Closed Thread

Tags
shingles