It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
(female)

cilorien HB User
Can herpes simplex trigger shingles outbreak?

I was curious if a person with herpes simplex could trigger a shingles outbreak in another person with a weakened immune system.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: Can herpes simplex trigger shingles outbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilorien View Post
I was curious if a person with herpes simplex could trigger a shingles outbreak in another person with a weakened immune system.
Can you clarify your question?

Shingles usually occurs in older people who have had the chicken pox virus at some point in their lives.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
(female)

cilorien HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Can you clarify your question?

Shingles usually occurs in older people who have had the chicken pox virus at some point in their lives.
I will provide a little more detail. There is a person who has herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE). I have FSGS (kidney disease) and Fibromyalgia, which have weakened my immune system. I had chicken pox when I was a child. Within days after exposure to the person with HSE, I have developed shingles, Herpes Zoster. I was just wondering if it was possible to have triggered my outbreak by being around the person with HSE or even touching something (ie: door handle). My guess is no, but I wanted to ask because both are in the herpes family. I have never had shingles until now.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

You can only get shingles if you have had chickenpox and it is not contagious. Everyone that has had chickenpox has the potential at some point in their lives for get Shingles. It is hidden away I believe somewhere at the base of the spine...not sure about where in the body it hibernates but something in that person's life can trigger it...stress is a big one. But only a few people actually get shingles. Those that have not had chickenpox can not get Shingles.

Closed Thread