It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
(female)

ccmitche HB User
Is Shingles a Nerve Infection?

About 2 months ago I started experiencing severe pain in one specific area on my back. This spot has been numb for over a month and I get severe burning pain and stabbing sharp pain.

When I first went to the doctor she said it sounds like it might be Shingles. However, I never developed a rash on my back. The pain is still there and it's still numb.

Today a different doctor said I could have a nerve infection from having the Chicken Pox. He put me on a higher dose of Lyrica and told me to wait and see if that helps.

When I look up nerve infection related to Chicken Pox I see Shingles. Is that the same thing? Is it possible to have pain for for 2 months and not have a rash and have Shingles?

I can't stand it anymore and don't know what else to do? Nothing helps the pain and I can't get any relief.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User
Re: Is Shingles a Nerve Infection?

Hi there, I am sorry for your trouble.

Shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. It is called the Varicella zoster virus. It is in the herpes family but is not caused by the same virus that causes genital herpes or herpes mouth sores.

If you have immune deficiency or are under stress this can sometimes reactivate the virus and cause shingles. Most of the time a cause is not found.

You may experience pain (burning and sensitive skin) before you see any blisters. Occasionally, pain is present but the blisters never appear. Duration of the outbreak is three to four weeks from start to finish.

Shingles is contagious. It can be spread to children and adults that have never had chickenpox. They will develop chickenpox instead of shingles. Once the blisters have crusted over, the virus can not be spread and is not contagious.

Your physician could have put you on an antiviral drug to reduce the severity and duration of the rash. This type drug must be started within 72 hours of the appearance of the rash. Narcotics and NSAIDs(non-steroidal anti-iflammatory drugs) can be used for pain.

Keep the affected area clean and bath with soap and water. Use cool compresses and anti-itching lotions such as calamine lotion. Burow's or Domeboro solution can be used to help dry up the blisters and oozing. You can find this at the pharmacy.

If the pain really upsets I would call the physician and ask for some medications to provide some relief until this thing passes.

Hope you feel better soon!! Sincerely, searchin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User
Re: Is Shingles a Nerve Infection?

Also, for some people shingles will last more than one month and you may have more than one episode. You may develop a neuralgia post-shingles. There are natural treatments to be found at the health store. Your doctor may prescribe prednisone or, as in your case, an antidepressant. Sincerely, searchin

Closed Thread