It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

mteach HB User
Question How to manage the pain while still working?

Diagnosed with shingles 3 days ago. Intense pain and skin sensitivity from spine around to upper right chest with breakout localized to right chest area. Surprised by the level of pain, I'm wondering how others managed "life" while waiting for symptoms to subside. Doc just indicated that pain would continue for duration of 3 - 4 weeks until hopefully the Valtrex has helped resolve shingles.
While hydrocdone does help pain, it also knocks me out. Suggestions about other pain management options? I can't teach while taking hydrocodone.

Last edited by mteach; 04-09-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Old 04-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
(female)

um011 HB User
Re: How to manage the pain while still working?

Well I was prescribed Neurontin and Ultram for the pain. Ultram is the most helpful with the pain, but depending on the dosage it will leave you drowsy. After about 4 days, I didn't feel as drowsy anymore and was able to function.Neurontin is used to treat the neuropathic pain that comes from the nerve damage. This one didn't make me drowsy, but it depends on the person.

A friend recommended arnicare gel (boiron),which is for muscle soreness. The gel felt amazing for my skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
(female)

Muneca77 HB User

Shingles can be quite easy to treat. It is an overload of Argine in the system. Things like nuts, chocolate, popcorn etc are heavy in Argine. Take Lysine 1000mg doses several times a day. My friend did this and her Dr. was in shock how quickly it went away. Same for Herpes or cold sores. Look up foods high in Argine and avoid those and add Lysine to your daily vitamins to prevent further attacks. You don't need to suffer or take all those expensive medicines.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
(female)

Muneca77 HB User

I was given hydrocordone for migraines. Then it morphed into severe neck and back pain to the point of being crippling, couldn't go the night without taking another pill. This went on forever, no Dr. said a word just gave me more. Finally my system hit the wall and what a shock once off the hydro my back and neck are fine. Beware.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
(female)

sandi2932 HB User

I have pain from shingles too. I will have to try the Lysine. I am trying not to take pain medication but after so long I have to take it. I was off work for one week. I wish I could have taken off another week.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
(female)

Muneca77 HB User

I had shingles on the left side of my face. I am still on Neurontin which is for nerve pain, regular pain meds don't do anything.

I now have permanent nerve damage on my face and my eye is sensitive to light. This is 4 months after the major attack.

I plan to start hypnosis to see if that will get my mind off the extreme pain and tinitus in my ears, the ringing is so loud it is hard to focus.

I watch what I eat and gobble down Lysine, you can't take too much of it from what I have read. I still like to have a cup of coffee in the AM so to compensate I just take more Lysine.

If it hadn't been for using Apple Cider Vinegar I would have had severe scaring. I found that information and am blessed to have found it. The aftermath of the severe shingles is hard enough to deal with so am lucky to not have scars on my face.

Closed Thread