It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
(female)

davlin75 HB User
Shingles on Left side of my Head

A week ago I started experiencing some bumps (enlarged spots) on the left side of my head in my hair. I kept feeling like something was crawling on my scalp. Then on Saturday I noticed that my face was severly swollen on the left side by my ear. I just came from the Dr & they said it was shingles. I don't have blisters yet, just red spots that look like mosquito bites as they called it. They gave me Acyclovir to take 4 times a day for 10 days. Will this medication stop me from getting the blisters - does anyone know? I didn't think to ask the Dr before I left? Also I have been having a pain sometime in my left side. This is on the left side of my head. Is this pain maybe from the shingles? I just started having the occasional pain. The Dr gave me Lyrica to take if I start hurting. Any have any info they can share with me about all this?

Last edited by davlin75; 10-24-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Shingles on Left side of my Head

Sorry to hear that, shingles are no fun!

Now, Acyclovir is not like Penicillin. It takes a few WEEKS to clear the virus from your body, but that's better than a few MONTHS without treatment. It's good that it was identified so soon. I knew a lady who had shingles on her face and recovered fully in just 3 weeks, because she got treatment right away.

Lyrica is very good for nerve pain, but it can cause weight gain and drowsiness. It's up to you whether you think it is necessary, but don't tough it out if you really are suffering. Some people actually develop chronic pain after shingles and keeping the pain under control makes it less likely that the pain will persist after the rash clears up.

Hope you feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
(female)

davlin75 HB User

Thanks for your reply. This is the second day on Acyclovir. My left eyelid is swollen this morning & itches really bad. My eyelid itches worse than my head.LOL! The spots on my head are not blisters - they are red spots like mosquito bites. I wonder if they will form blisters or not. Do you know if there is anything I can take or do for the itching? Guess I shouldn't be rubbing my eyelid either? right? Anything thanks for listening. Have a great day!!

Old 10-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
(male)

discodeacon HB User

I have shingles on the right side of my head. I have taken Lyrica for other nerve problems for years and have found it effective. Shingles seems to need Lyrica and a bit of endurance.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
(female)

davlin75 HB User

DiscoDeacon, How long have you had shingles on the right side of your head? Is this the firt time you have had this? It's the first time I have had shingles. They put me on Acyclovir & gave me Lyrica in case I started hurting really bad - at least that is what they told me the Lyrica was for - pain. I also have a spot in my left eyebrow. Do you have it anywhere else on th right side of your body other than you head?

Old 10-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
(male)

discodeacon HB User

I've had it two weeks and it is intense. I have been taking Lyrics for several years. It was developed for nerve pain caused by diabetes. I had foot surgery and had nerve pain so my md suggested I try it and ut works great if I also have nerve damage in my face from a parotidectomy -- removal of a salivary gland -- and it helps with that too. I imagine it helps with the nerve damage from a shingles which too. I was already taking it when I got it (them)

Old 10-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
(female)

davlin75 HB User

Have u had shingles before? This is the first time I've had it. I've had it almost 2 wks too. I've also had foot (broken ankle) too which resulted in a lot of numbness & nerve pain in one of my toes. I'be never taken Lyrica before. I think I got meds for the shingles before it got so bad. Sure hope u get better soon.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
(male)

discodeacon HB User

3 weeks, It is the first time. At first I thought I was having an allergic reaction to an insecet bite because I have those. But alas it was shingles. My Dr put me on Valtrex which was very effective in dealing with the blisters. They are gone. The pain, however is still there, especially at night.

Closed Thread