It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

candance29 HB User
1st time with shingles

Im super worried im 29 very healthy i work out 5 times a week and have two children ages 5 and 1 ; a couple days ago i had itching on my left thigh and lower. Buttocks ; thought nothing of it because i work out and am always sore and itchy after my hard workouts ; then i noticed a rash on my thigh and two more welts on my lower left buttocks ;they hurt so bad and the rash hasnt gotten any better and i noticed my lymphnodes on my groin on my left side are so tender and swollen so finally i went to urgent care the doctor said its shingles and gave me aviril for 5 times a day but im still so worried how i even got this??? Im healthy i do get stressed with two little ones ; and i am on tyroid meds 25mgs im very active and i really. Hope this is what it is because my 27 yeat old sister got diagnosed with hodgkins lymphoma and is now in remission so im s scared i did have a c section 1year ago im just so worried confused? ???help. Anyone else experienced. This?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
(female)

estelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB User
Re: 1st time with shingles

Shingles are caused by the chickenpox virus, that lays dormant in the body, I think if you havent had chickenpox, you cant get shingles, but you can get chickenpox from some one with shingles. My husband had shingles last year on the back of his neck and down one arm, it was so very painfull. You have had a sister that has been ill, thats the type of thing that catches up with you, I have been down a similar road, and it took me about a year and I had a bit of a break down, from the stress of it,. Take care of your self. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
(male)

cg50in HB User

My first time also and I am 56. Started last week and by time I figured out what it was too late for Valtrex. Mine is from lower back around to belly dermatome. Feels like I just had abdominal surgery with no pain meds. Can even feel stitches. Advil helps but what pain. Hope it doesn't trun into posttherpetic analgia for next few years. Try to tell myself it isn't a real injury and its just pseudo pain and to get on with things but GEEZ. The clothes touching the skin feels like burns. I am one that feels your pain literally

Old 03-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
(female)

SREIM HB UserSREIM HB User

My understanding goes to you with the shingles. I have had them 7 times now and I have had the shot. I have had them 3 times in my right eye. My opthomologist says some people are prone to shingles and I just happen to be one of them. But, I find that after I have some major event I get them. I recently had a knee replacement so I figured they would come again and sure enough they did. I work a seasonal job and after I am done they come on me. I am older (77) and I think I will have to give up my job of 23 years just to keep from getting these awful shingles.

I will say that since I have had the shot they aren't as severe and painful and I am not as sick with them as I was before. The last two times I get little bumps around my eyes but they have not broken open.

I too am on an antiviral horse pill that I take 5 times a day. That really helps keep the discomfort down.

You will live through this but you will wish to die the pain is so great. I understand your discomfort. It is terrible. Hang in there my friend, easy for me to say huh!

Old 05-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
(female)

HelloKitty2003 HB User

Hello to all....just wondered how everyone is feeling now. I am still getting over my first case that started over a month ago. I just have the healing rash left. It doesn't seem like it will ever go away completely! I was fortunate to have mine on my leg by my knee. I only got one patch about the size of a quarter and the anti-virals stopped it from spreading. I was already and still am taking pain meds for herniated discs, so I was lucky to have those. Ask your doctor to prescribe something for the pain even if you only take it at night. I also got a prescription for Lidoderm patches and they were the best!!! They numbed the area and had a cooling effect that was very soothing when it was in that burning phase. You can't use them once it breaks open, but they were a miracle for me! I am guessing that the stress of buying a house and upcoming surgery on my neck caused mine. Kick you when you are down right!! Hope to hear from you all. :-)

Old 05-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
(female)

My first case (out of 7 cases) took me 7 months to get over. Having had the shingles in one eye 3 times has left me with poor vision in that eye. I also have times when I feel them coming on again as my eye itches, then burns and vision seems dimmer. I continue to have some burning in the place where I had the shingles the first time. I do take a medicine for that residual pain which helps. The other 3 places don't seem to bother me. But, it is the worst pain I have ever experienced. Get to a doctor right away if you suspect you are getting them again.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
(female)

HelloKitty2003 HB User

I can't even imagine how awful having them on your eye must be! To have it more than once just adds insult to injury! I will definitely recognize the symptoms if I get it again. Taking the anti-viral quickly really seemed to help me. From what I have read it seems like most people get them in the same place if they have them again. I guess that would be better for me, but obviously a nightmare for others like you. My rash looks like it is healing well. Seems like the scabbed part that is left is really deep. I guess that is what is taking so long to go away. How is that for you with it in your eye? Do you get a rash with scabs, or just feel the pain? Sorry for the silly question, but I am curious. Take care and I wish you luck that you never have them again!!!!

Old 05-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
(female)

I do have scabs over the cornea and there is talk about doing something to help that. The key to not suffering so much is to get on an antiviral med right away. Since I have had them so frequently I know when I am coming down with them so I get into the doctor that first day. They are terribly painful.
Yes, I do get a rash. The first time in the eye I had a sore in the corner of my eye. The other times I have had lots of little bumps under my eye. They start out with a couple of big bumps then it spreads to lots of little bumps under my eye with some bigger bumps on my forehead above the eye.

Last edited by SREIM; 05-26-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: answering a question that was asked, which I forgot.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
(female)

HelloKitty2003 HB User

Well, that is even worse than I imagined! I hope you are able to get your eye taken care of. At least it only happens to one eye....something to be thankful for. Please take care and I wish you luck with your health in the future!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
(female)

The one eye is the only place I have had the shingles multiple times. I will say since I have had the shot the shingles have not been as painful nor do they last as long as the other times. But, every time I have gotten them I feel kind of sick like I had the flu or "something." I will say I try to avoid any extra stress on the body or mind since I get them so often.

Closed Thread