It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
(female)

mrsbeachy HB User
Unhappy Help! Shingles won't go away!

About 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with shingles, they have mostly dried up, but for the past week, I have noticed in some areas of the rash, have become itchy and raised again! I dont understand why they wont go away! And what should I do??? Anyone have this problem?

Old 06-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
(female)

SREIM HB UserSREIM HB User
Re: Help! Shingles won't go away!

My friend, the first time I had the shingles was several years ago and that area of course has all cleared up but it can still itch and burn to this day. I just hope you don't have the sickness with it that I had nor have a repeat of the disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
(female)

janleyj HB User

Hii there, I don't wish to be the bearer of bad news, but shingles does not generally go away altogether; I have episodes of it and can feel when they will flare up; I've been given some anti-viral drugs (Aciclovir 800mg) to take as soon as I feel the symptoms start and for the most part it works pretty well; what I would say is if at all possible and I know this is really hard because shingles is virus of the chicken pox family (medical term for shingles is herpes zoster) and of course as with chicken pox, shingles itches like billy-O! I have two areas where I get outbreaks and I cover them up to stop myself scratching the areas especially when the patches blister; if you do end up scratching and bursting the blister, just remember to wash your hand thoroughly as you can spread the virus to other areas of you body. The other thing to watch out for is that sometimes with severe cases, a band can develop around the chest area and because shingles affects the nerve ending, it can be very painful and you should always seeks medical advice if the band continues to increase around the full circumference of chest region.

I wish I could give more happy info, but shingles can be managed you just need to recognise the first signs; mine is a terrible soreness down one leg directly below the site of the shingles patch; as soon as feel this, I commence anti-viral meds and anti-viral cream; I will say that I have very compromised immune system, so I can develop all sorts of things but I just remain proactive and positive (which is soooo hard sometimes) I'm not a fitness fanatic but I eat a very healthy balanced diet and of course myself treats too ) You may well be able to put a stop to outbreaks if you're otherwise healthy but don't give and try not to get to stressed because that can cause an outbreak. Go and see you doctor; I'm sure he'll advise the same - Take care, Good Luck

Old 06-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
(female)

SREIM HB UserSREIM HB User

I too have residual pain from the shingles and my Dr gave me Effexor which helps a lot. I also can tell when the shingles are coming on and I get to the Dr that very day if at all possible.

I too try to avoid stress, in fact so much so that I quit my job. Shingles are no fun. Years ago I did a paper on herpes zoster and I sure didn't know then what I was talking about.

Closed Thread