It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
(female)

777irish777 HB User
Do not want to take antivirals!!!

I'm now starting my second bout of shingles, although I feel they never really went away (since Oct)..I just do not want to take the Antiviruls...I have upped my L-lysine, vit c, b12 shots and acupuncture..anyone else not taking the antivirals?

Old 07-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Do not want to take antivirals!!!

May I ask why not? The antivirals can shorten the illness considerably and reduce the risk of complications such as poat-herpetic neuralgia. Or did the meds cause problems for you?

Have you considered the shingles vaccine, to keep this from happening again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
(female)

anna2012 HB User

I totally understand, I'm all about natural treatments wherever possible.

But shingles is one thing I can't handle. The anti-virals knock it out so much faster and relieve pain, I just suck it up and take enough to get me by.

Infrared and UV light is supposed to help, though. So is capsaicin cream (or taking capsaicin capsules). Near-infrared light is harmless, but UV light not so much.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna2012 View Post
I totally understand, I'm all about natural treatments wherever possible.

But shingles is one thing I can't handle. The anti-virals knock it out so much faster and relieve pain, I just suck it up and take enough to get me by.

Infrared and UV light is supposed to help, though. So is capsaicin cream (or taking capsaicin capsules). Near-infrared light is harmless, but UV light not so much.
I totally agree with you on the anti-viral ,I was lucky enough to get to the doctor within the 72 hours so I think they might be helping, So Cissy you might want to try that , they are hard on my stomach so I take it with food ,
500 mg of famciclovir 3xs for 7 days , the most annoying thing for me is the tingling and this incessant itching, I have plenty pain medications because I have degenerative arthritis ,feels like a small animal is gnawing on the lesions under my right breast, arghhhhhhh, I just want to sleep all the time as to not have to deal with it, good luck to you both.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
(female)

iwunderu HB User

777irish777

I've had recurring shingles with rash 3 times. I had the anti-virals the first two times. When I took the AV with the second bout, I just didn't really feel they were doing much. So when I got them the third time, I opted to not take them. I couldn't tell a difference in length or severity.

Granted, I think I've had minor outbreaks for all three compared to what I hear/read about others pain, so that could be part of it too.

Another alternative is Tagmet (yes OTC stomach medicine) I used it after I finished my AV on the second breakout I had because I was still having severe back pain. Within an hour of taking my first dose of the Tagmet, the back pain eased.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-11-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

Why not take antivirals? I got the shingles vaccination 2 years ago and still got the shingles recently. As bad as this episode is, I can't imagine what it would be like if i hadn't had the vaccination & antiviral med. Kind of ticked me off that the prescription was $100 even w/good insurance. Plus the vaccine was $200

Note: If you ever had chickenpox, the virus lays dormant and can reappear anytime, esp. when you get older. (It is contagious.)

Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

Went to the doc yesterday after taking the anti -viral , pain is intermittent ,not quite as bad as it was , just some pins and needles sort of pain , problem is I am breaking out on my buttocks on the right side , so I am using the anti-fungal cream lamisil and the lidocaine patches .
Good Luck everyone

Old 06-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
(female)

KMayfair HB User

The antivirals tear my go tract up something hideous.. When we can afford it, my boyfriend buys the tiny "super glue" size/shape bottle of abreva cream. It knocks them out FAST. Dries them up and starts the healing right away. We dab tiny bits all over the sores, making sure to get all of them with a touch, cover the whole area with a big bandaid (as big as needed - sometimes it's a full blown bandage size) and leave it alone. Redress every day, or whenever the itchy tingly burn starts up again.
If you can't afford the cream, you can grind up an antiviral, mix it with a drop or two of distilled water, and make a paste. Apply it thicker, but use a warm soaked cloth to get it off - it dries like plaster. This takes a little longer to heal, but it's what I do when I can't stomach (literally) the pills and we don't have the money for another tube of miracle cream.
Oh, and to those worried or wondering.. Both options were suggested by my primary care, off the books as it were.

The Following User Says Thank You to KMayfair For This Useful Post:
Machaon (07-25-2013)
Closed Thread