It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
(female)

sally2009 HB User
Is it possible to get Shingles twice ?

About 5 years ago I was told by my GP that I had shingles left hand side on my hip.

There was no pain and always wondered if it actually was Shingles as I believe there is always pain.

Recently I have been diagnosed with Shingles and the pain is severe and have the tell tale cluster of sores.

My Dr told me he cant explain if it was shingles 5 years ago because there was no pain. Then there was definately clusters of sores

Can you get Shingles twice ?

Can you get shingles without pain ?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User
Re: Is it possible to get Shingles twice ?

Do not know about shingles without pain but you can get them more than once. Been there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
(female)

sally2009 HB User

Since I posted the thread have learnt quite a bit.

Have been told it would not have been shingles on my hip all those years ago as there was no pain and most likely just the cold sore virus.

Then I have had a really bad time with these shingles, took 42 anti viral tablets and panadeine forte.

The shingles sores have all but dissapeared but the pain is till there but controlled with less stonger pain killers.

But my top lip started to feel funny then one day saw a very small sore on it. I asked the Dr about it and he said it could be a cold sore starting and then I said "But the anti viral tablets stopped it developing " and he said yes you are right

My Dr told me that if you get a really nasty dose of shingles you dont usually get it again but he has dealt with a patient who has gotten it more than once.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
(female)

Alex1955 HB User

Yes you can get it more than once. And you can have pain without blisters. I'm on my third outbreak of shingles in less than 4 months. The first time it started with blisters on my left side by upper rib cage. I thought it was a bug bite. It started to get really itchy an normal topical creams made it worse. So I went to doctor and he said it was shingles. It hurt and was itchy. The second time was about a month or so later. This time pain in the same area but no blisters. Thank god because I still have the scars from the first outbreak. This pain was even worse. By the second week I couldn't stand it anymore. I did some research and found out that lidocaine patches helped with pain. Luckily I had some so I started using them. They did help. It last another week or so. Then 3 weeks later another outbreak of blisters. This time on the inside of my arm near elbow, same side of the body. The blisters were itchy but no pain.
I'm getting frustrated with this. I read about the shingles vaccine. Thinking about trying it.
Has anyone tried the vaccine yet and has it helped.
Thanks

Old 10-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
(female)

sally2009 HB User

I also found out by the Dr that the pain after the sores have healed can be even worse when the sores were there.

Today is three weeks since my first pain started, 4 days later sores appeared and shingles confirmed and now three weeks later still pain each day and sores have virtually gone.

My Dr said he has never given the Shingles injection and didnt really know much about it.

What I have read is that it is given to the elderly and weak only

Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User

Quote:
I'm getting frustrated with this. I read about the shingles vaccine. Thinking about trying it.
Has anyone tried the vaccine yet and has it helped.
Thanks
I belong to a prayer circle and several of the ladies in the circle have had the shot with no ill side effects. The fact that I have had shingles several times makes me want to talk to my doctor about the shot.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
(female)

Alex1955 HB User
Cool Re: Is it possible to get Shingles twice ?

Hi
Thanks for the info. I spoke to my doctor and they don't do the vaccines in their office. They recommended a pharmacy that does flu shots. They have started to do the shingles vaccine as well. I don't know if that is by area, but I'm in Los Angeles suburbs.
I may try this afternoon.
Thanks

Last edited by Alex1955; 10-01-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: mispelled word

Old 08-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
(female)

volleyball2 HB Uservolleyball2 HB User

I also was told I had shingles about 5 years ago. I had a rash which was sore and a lot of numbness in the nerves on my face. I know it was shingles because it got very near my eye and I had to see several doctors.
A few days ago I felt some numbness in my forehead. A couple of days after I got out of the shower and noticed a bright red band overmy right eye. I felt an outbreak of pimples and a little soreness and it was numb in some places. That evening I went to the hospital where they agreed it was shingles and put me on medication. Neither time did I experience the bad pain.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
(female)

volleyball2 HB Uservolleyball2 HB User

I also was told I had shingles about 5 years ago. I had a rash which was sore and a lot of numbness in the nerves on my face. I know it was shingles because it got very near my eye and I had to see several doctors.
A few days ago I felt some numbness in my forehead. A couple of days after I got out of the shower and noticed a bright red band overmy right eye. I felt an outbreak of pimples and a little soreness and it was numb in some places. That evening I went to the hospital where they agreed it was shingles and put me on medication. Neither time did I experience the bad pain.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
(female)

Alex1955 HB User
Smile Re: Is it possible to get Shingles twice ?

Unfortunately yes. Depending on your immune system you can get it over and over again. First time I had it on my left side and painful. Listed about 4 weeks. Then got it again 3 weeks later. This time same spot no bumps just pain. I was able to use lidocaine patches since there were no bumps to help with the pain.
Then got it again 3 weeks later same side different spot and some bumps and pain. I was able to use calamine lotion for itching. I was tired of getting it after that. Did some research and a few months later I decided to get the shingles vaccine. Some doctors give it but usually your local pharmacy will have it. It's expensive. Usually insurance won't cover it. Ask your insurance. It was well worth the $200.00. I've been shingles free since last September. Hurray!
You can still get it but its suppose to help the frequency of outbreaks, duration, make it a milder case.
Hope this helps, good luck.
Alex

Reply Reply