It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
(male)

jayhawks HB User
Question Can shingles on chest and back now affect eye?

Hi, I was diagnosed with shingles last week. I thought it was the hives but couldn't figure out why I had it since I hadn't stopped or started any new medications. After four days of thinking it would go away I went to the Doc and they immediately diagnosed shingles. Ok, so I have been taking the antiviral drug and some Lyrica for pain. It seems to be running the classic course. The pain is still there after one week, but the blisters are becoming smaller. This evening I developed a severe pain in/behind my left eye (same side as my shingles are on) but don't have any visual clues that shingles have developed on my face. Could this be related to Shingles, or is it unlikely to have shingles on your chest/back and also have it in your eye without having rash/blisters on your face?
My vision thus far doesn't seem to be effected.
Thanks for any input.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
(male)

jayhawks HB User
Re: Can shingles on chest and back now effect eye?

Today the eye pain has subsided. So it's hard to say what that was all about. I'll report in if there is a change.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
(female)

AllaboutVZV HB User
Re: Can shingles on chest and back now effect eye?

Yes - the eye pain can be associated with the same virus that causes shingles (VZV). VZV can reactivate from neurons in the torso and travel to the skin to cause rash. At same time, it can reactivate from the neurons in the head (trigeminal ganglia) and cause eye pain. The antiviral medication probably took care of both areas - hence resolution of the eye pain. Good luck!

Closed Thread

Tags
eye pain, shingles